Re: [Swprograms] La plus ca change...

Yeah, unfortunately with Mel "the Genius" in charge schlock will
always trump quality.  However, let's not be too pessimistic about all
this.  There are significant differences between the satellite radio
business and the cable (and even satellite) television business that
will inevitably drive decisions.  Radio--as we are all fond of saying
here--is also a much different medium than television.

For one thing, subscription radio by its very nature will always be of
interest to a distinct minority of users (especially when compared
with subscription television).  It's going to have to appeal to niche
users willing to part with some treasure every month.  That's a rather
tall order.  Terrestrial radio will always cater and appeal to the
mainstream listener and they can get that for free.  Even the most
dense of Americans will figure this out for themselves (if they
haven't already).

If Mel doesn't figure it out soon, even he'll be out the door.  The
key to his (and his merged company's) survival, after all is said and
done, is a sustained rise in the share price.  Mel's mass market
approach hasn't accomplished this.  (Quite the reverse has happened in
point of fact.)  Smart leaders change course when confronted with
failure.  Maybe Mel is sincere when he says there will be more and
better diverse choices in programming because, in truth, that's the
only path to success.

I'm already on record as fearing that we're just creating a version of
Clear Channel on steroids; but that is a worst case scenario and--
fortunately--best and worst case scenarios never actually emerge
whole.  It's always somewhere in the middle.  Let's hope that middle
ultimately leans more in our preferred direction.

John Figliozzi