[Swprograms] Shortwave Listening in the summer

[Swprograms] Shortwave Listening in the summer

It's true, my attention to shortwave seems to drift in the summers.
For DX pleasure, there's the wonderful world of FM skip...And I find
that the dxtuners network fills in a lot of my need for both dxing
and program listening on mw, fm and sw. Lately, a favorite tuner has
been the one in Johannesburg...it's nice to scan 60 meters there, and
get strong signals from Zambia, Ghana, and Madagascar for hours of
listening pleasure...

Closer to home, I had two interesting shortwave oriented experiences.
First, I prepared a listening session for my son Abe's 3rd grade
class. They are studying Africa and China. I played first live local
Chinese radio, and then (due to poor shortwave reception within the
school) played many excerpts of African stations. They were very
interested, and through a lively q & a really seemed to understand

A couple weeks later, the 3rd grade had a picnic, and I brought along
a shortwave portable to tune in Africa #1, and others...This time the
kids were too busy romping around to pay much attention, but I really
hooked in the parents, many of whom are from the middle east and
other parts of the world. They eagerly soaked up the World Cup
Coverage on Africa #1, called out the names of the singers on Rtv
Marocaine on 15345, and when Egypt came on 12050 with the Koran, a
mom from Yemen took the radio, and made the rounds of all her
friends. I had many queries about where to get radios...