Re: [Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

Re: [Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

I have read with great interest all the comments as to the BBCWS the
last several days. I think I can offer my own voice to this and it will
possibly show in just a few words what the BBCWS thinks of shortwave.
As many of you know, I do the correspondence for the SWL FEST; each year
it gets rougher to get things from some broadcasters, then you have the
Radio Prauges that make sure to send something. In 2005, I decided to
contact Bush House, even with the already done demise of swbc to North
America and Pacific figuring there's a chance maybe they will send
somethimg, maybe some promo material. What I got in reply should point
out how closed minded they are...and I paraphrase here-

"We have ABSOLUTLEY (sp) no intention of dealing with people who still
listen to an OLD antiquated mode such as shortwave"

Having read that from them, it points out the lack of appreciation they
have for the lost shortwave audience. The BBC as well as others have
decided North Americans have an endless cash flow and shortwave be
damned. They have no intention of going back to what they were,
available on RADIO sans subscription; this is the same for the web at all.

And yet, in closing I recall reading somewhere that they along with
Deutsche Welle are eyeing the possibility of using DRM on shortwave to
North America and the Pacific if the tests reveal DRM works. So far no
it has not- but we are still in the solar low; maybe in a year both will
wake up and realize not everyone has abandoned the listening of
international radio via shortwave.

Rich Cuff always ends with "just my 2 cents"...thats my 5 cents
(inflation factored in)

Bill Bergadano