Re: [Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

Re: [Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

I agree John, they closed the door on this one. The problem seems to
be if you present yourself as a radio enthusiast in any way, the
shortwave broadcasters tend to dismiss you as a nut, or at the least,
not a typical listener.

That said, is there any hope of floating the idea of a world covering
safety net of analog shortwave broadcasts in a unified way?  I think
that there could be a campaign mounted by manufacturers like Eton,
groups like the NASB, and NASWA, which undertook a valiant, and very
respectable effort to opposed the intial BBC cuts.

Also, I've wondered aloud in the past...could there be some effort
like a radio Peace Corp to support small domestic shortwave
broadcasters, particularly in the tropical bands by helping them
technically, and financially to stay on the air. I fear, that the
trend away from shortwave by the big broadcasters will ultimately
leave poor rural populations in Africa, and South America severely
underserved.

I realise that the tropical bands are emptying out in many cases
because of better availability of FM, and population decrease in some
rural areas, but it seems clear that there are many cases where a
station is still needed by it's community but goes off the air
because of defunct and aging equipment. Could an effort be mounted by
shortwave listeners' with an amount of energy and intensity similar
to that which goes into ham dxpeditions raising thousands of dollars
to travel to various distant rocks in order to provide amateurs with
an exotic DX target?