	From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Richard Cuff
	Sent: Thu 3/30/2006 8:55 PM
	To: Shortwave programming discussion
	Subject: Re: [Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

	I like it.

	For the Americas:

	I suggest adding 1000-1200 (A-season)  / 1100-1300 (B-season) to this.

	Rationale:

	The succes RNW has had with the morning transmission to NA (launched
	in July, 2001 if you recall...in part to fill the BBC void) indicates
	there is a morning appetite for radio.

	Provides "morning companion" listening at breakfast that's an
	alternative to NPR.  Provides a healthy dose of business content
	(Business Daily 1040, WBR 1120) along with Analysis at 1140 and Sports
	Roundup at 1150 .  Suitable for kitchen-based portables (we all have
	them, right?).

	USA- or Sackville-based transmitter time, theoretically, is cheaper
	than Antigua / Montsinery / Bonaire time since you wouldn't be using
	diesel-powered generators.

	Impediment:

	Does the BBCWS contract with VT permit them to negotiate with non-VT
	transmitting entities?  One would think so...because Bonaire and
	Montsinery are used, and WYFR was used.

	Cost:  $350 / day  (7 hours @ $50 / hr) or $128 K/year.  Less than
	0.02% of the BBCWS budget.

	Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

	On 3/30/06, John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
	> Were I made emperor (nah, that's TOO scary) or director general of
	> the BBC World Service for one day, this is what I would do.

<<winmail.dat>>