Re: [Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

Re: [Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

I like it.

For the Americas:

I suggest adding 1000-1200 (A-season)  / 1100-1300 (B-season) to this.

Rationale:

The succes RNW has had with the morning transmission to NA (launched
in July, 2001 if you recall...in part to fill the BBC void) indicates
there is a morning appetite for radio.

Provides "morning companion" listening at breakfast that's an
alternative to NPR.  Provides a healthy dose of business content
(Business Daily 1040, WBR 1120) along with Analysis at 1140 and Sports
Roundup at 1150 .  Suitable for kitchen-based portables (we all have
them, right?).

USA- or Sackville-based transmitter time, theoretically, is cheaper
than Antigua / Montsinery / Bonaire time since you wouldn't be using
diesel-powered generators.

Impediment:

Does the BBCWS contract with VT permit them to negotiate with non-VT
transmitting entities?  One would think so...because Bonaire and
Montsinery are used, and WYFR was used.

Cost:  $350 / day  (7 hours @ $50 / hr) or $128 K/year.  Less than
0.02% of the BBCWS budget.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA