[Swprograms] My Suggestion to the BBC

Were I made emperor (nah, that's TOO scary) or director general of
the BBC World Service for one day, this is what I would do.

Reasoning that at least a minimal presence on shortwave should be
preserved throughout the world in order to maintain a truly world
service, I would restore one frequency to service in the regions of
the Americas and Australasia.  For North America (and probably
Central and South America), this could be accomplished quite
inexpensively by leasing one or more (as necessary) of the many
available domestic private shortwave transmitters.  Given their
published rate cards, this would cost next to nothing.

Here would be the schedule and my reasoning behind it:

As observed by Glenn Hauser earlier today, the WS has reduced its
"feature" programming in favor of a greater emphasis on news and
current affairs, including business.  But it has also bunched that
programming into certain times of the day which will make this
mission even more economical.

For the Americas:   mornings 1200-1300 UT; evenings 0000 - 0400 UT.

That's five hours a day that will include Newshour each morning and
nearly every one of the BBC's feature programs over the course of the
week in the evening, including Business Daily and Outlook.  Since
local NPR affiliates largely ignore this content, but more than
adequately cover the WS news output, this plan would fill a
recognizable gap which to me would justify the expense unless and
until more generally available alternatives than the internet and
subscription satellite develop.  If need be the 1200 transmission
could be dispensed with entirely or supplanted by "World, Have Your
Say" for the one hour at 1700 instead.

I also realize that Sportsworld and a few other programs on the
weekends are not in this plan, but the four or five hours a day will
ensure that nearly all BBC content will still be available to those
who want it.

A similar approach would be taken for Australasia, with similar
justifications.

Having put this forward, you know that corollary to Murphy's Law...
"Every man has a plan that will not work".  <g>

Go ahead, have some fun with this one!

John Figliozzi