Re: [Swprograms] [ODXA] BBC to Caribbean

Re: [Swprograms] [ODXA] BBC to Caribbean

Yes, I accept your criticism that the remit I suggested was a bit too
wide.  I suppose I would place greater emphasis on the fact that the
BBC seems to be hewing more to commercial standards in its self
analysis over traditional public service standards. It is all the rage
today--the flavour of the month, if you will--so not entirely
surprising that the BBC would succumb to it.  But it is disappointing
to some of us, all the same.

Re: your comments regarding "shortwave enthusiasts".  In response I
would say (and think you would agree) that shortwave is simply just
another platform.  One may prefer it for a number of reasons, only one
of which would be some kind of "hobby" orientation.  It still holds
some clear technical advantages over the others, not the least of
which are its inexpensive nature and low energy requirements (from the
listener's point of view) as well as its avoidance of "the
gatekeeper".  (And I would posit that this latter phenomenon is not
confined to the third world.  I don't really want my public radio
station deciding what BBC programs I should hear any more than I want
the government to do so.)

No sentient being would argue that the BBC should stay on shortwave
just to satisfy hobbyists.  But BBC constantly raises (politely) this
argument as a defense. It is just a straw man that management uses to
avoid talking about the harder questions.  I do find this
objectionable, if only because it flies in the face of factual data
that undermines at least partially the BBC stance.

Ignoring facts is no way to create and set policy.  Of course, as a
policy analyst by trade I see this approach taken every day.  It is,
sadly, quite effective--mostly because most people either lack the
time, facility or interest to pursue the facts. After 30+ years in the
profession, it still sticks in my craw.  We are all entitled to our
own opinions; but we are not entitled to our own facts.

Sorry if some see this as a rant.  It is not intended as such.

John Figliozzi