Re: [Swprograms] [ODXA] BBC to Caribbean

Re: [Swprograms] [ODXA] BBC to Caribbean

Warning:  continued philosophising follows...

Here's my hypothesis:  The problem boils down to that nasty "T-" word,
TRADEOFFS.

I propose that the logic used by commercial enterprises is perceived
as generally more adept at dealing with situations involving tradeoffs
-- I believe the economists would use the term "pareto-optimums" --
than non-profit or governmental enterprises.

Believe it or not, I had the same discussion about a month ago as part
of a leadership activity I'm involved in at our church.  We were
looking at various means of evangelism, and the issue boiled down to
the fact we have limited resources and need to sort out how best to
apply those resources to the goals of our church.

I lack your career public sector experience, but in the two years I
rubbed shoulders with the US EPA, it seems that the decision rationale
for tradeoffs was based on political expediency as much as anything
else -- i.e. which decisions were most likely to secure funding the
next year for the agency, thus ensuring its own survival.  While that
is a rational approach for decisionmaking, it is not an optimal
approach.

Faced with tradeoff-filled quandaries, public service broadcasters
have adopted decision-making processes from their for-profit bretheren
because The Powers That Be felt those would be improvements versus
other methods used.

In the end, I agree wholeheartedly that the decision to drop analog SW
to any region is foolhardy -- at least maintain a single-frequency
presence at convenient times of the day.

Alas, as we lamented back in '01, the BBCWS is/was not willing to be
sufficiently transparent to allow us to judge the statiscal analysis
used to reach these conclusions.

BTW -- I like the new BBC program "Business Daily".  It deconstructs
business issues to an understandable discussion.  Better than this
e-mail does, for sure.

Unspoken in all this is the "cost per listener" argument.  That likely
remains the real culprit here.  The WS is willing to trade indpendent
control of its programming -- i.e. letting public radio stations make
choices -- for the costs required to maintain shortwave to North
America.

No argument with your points -- as to whether or not the BBC was (and
is) wrongheaded in its thinking.

Richard Cuff / emulating Rodin's sculpture in / Allentown, PA