Re: [Swprograms] More on Sirius, Post-Stern

Re: [Swprograms] More on Sirius, Post-Stern

Since picking up my Sirius unit, my experience has compelled two other
folks into the fold. I am a Stern-rush-era subscriber, having started my
subscription this past December.

Mark J. Fine wrote:

>This past weekend I tried getting a second Sirius Sportster Replay
>radio, post-Stern launch, in Manassas, VA: Best Buy had a completely
>empty sales jobber; Circuit City had a couple of docking stations, but
>no radios; Tweeter was completely sold out with no idea of their next
>shipment. Lots of XM stuff all over the place... but no Sirius.

I find a similar situation in far off Austin, Texas. Curiously, the
Sirius One unit is usually found at Radio Shack stores in no shortage. I
have experience with two other FM-modulation units and this one is what
one might hope the FM-modulation models would be. It plays through the
factory stereo in my Ford truck and my trusty ATS-505P beautifully. The
bolt-on dash mount in the package makes a reasonable and unpretentious
stand for using the unit in the house.

>So, what to do? Go to the source. I was able to order a new Streamer
>Replay from Sirius for the same as what you get in the discount stores.
>The Streamer is the same form/function as the Sportster but has a
>slightly different color scheme. I got the same exact rebate deals, in
>fact, but a lot sooner than waiting for the store get stocked. It was
>processed, shipped and received within four business days with free UPS
>Ground shipping (as in, today - hooah!).

I will simply say that I have had to call Sirius exactly once. My
original radio (an Xact XTR1) died after two weeks. The transfer of the
subscription to the new unit was painless and quite fast. Keep in mind,
this was during the nobody-can-get-through rush just after January 9th.

>Now, unless this is a marketing/stocking scheme (like trying to find
>XBox 360s and video iPods, which I sincerely doubt), I find it
>completely amazing that Stern has had such an effect on Sirius sales -
>the main reason why my wife wanted one for Christmas. What's even more
>amazing is that you could find tons of radios before Christmas, but
>absolutely nothing now.

Down in my neck of the woods, the units evaporated from the shelves
about a week before Christmas and while helping my friends get set up
(They simply wouldn't believe the process was idiot-proof.) I've noticed
the shelves by and large have not been replenished. My friends have
FM-modulation units too, one has the
easy-to-find-when-you-know-where-to-go Sirius One, and the other an Xact
Visor which is conceptually similar but superficially inferior.

I have observed that the presence of a figure like Stern on such a
service made many people take this service seriously for the first time.
I am certainly among them. I hope you'll forgive the comparison, but
it's not unlike if, say, Walter Cronkite signed with, say, CNN when they
first signed on. I still find myself channel surfing the Sirius streams
and remain amazed at the volume of material available most of which
which "terrestrial radio" would never touch. I'm listening to things,
like Michelangelo Signorile on OutQ and Grandmaster Flash's Saturday
night program, both of which I would have never sought out. My
television has assumed room temperature, and I fear my Sangean could get
stuck on an unused FM frequency.

It's a shame Air America, who are doing something distinctive for most
of the day, made the wrong choice, IMHO. It's nice to have a BBCWS, WRN
and CBC that I can carry around town. However, I do find myself
listening to channel 100 a little more than should be considered healthy.

-Stan Baker, Austin Texas