[Swprograms] More on Sirius, Post-Stern

This past weekend I tried getting a second Sirius Sportster Replay
radio, post-Stern launch, in Manassas, VA: Best Buy had a completely
empty sales jobber; Circuit City had a couple of docking stations, but
no radios; Tweeter was completely sold out with no idea of their next
shipment. Lots of XM stuff all over the place... but no Sirius.

So, what to do? Go to the source. I was able to order a new Streamer
Replay from Sirius for the same as what you get in the discount stores.
The Streamer is the same form/function as the Sportster but has a
slightly different color scheme. I got the same exact rebate deals, in
fact, but a lot sooner than waiting for the store get stocked. It was
processed, shipped and received within four business days with free UPS
Ground shipping (as in, today - hooah!).

Now, unless this is a marketing/stocking scheme (like trying to find
XBox 360s and video iPods, which I sincerely doubt), I find it
completely amazing that Stern has had such an effect on Sirius sales -
the main reason why my wife wanted one for Christmas. What's even more
amazing is that you could find tons of radios before Christmas, but
absolutely nothing now.

For anyone who cares, I personally don't listen to Stern. I actually
prefer Elliott in the Morning on DC101 here in the DC area (formerly on
K-Rock in NYC). I got my Sirius radio for the music, football coverage,
BBC/WRN, and quite frankly [and this should shock absolutely no one] the
uncensored "Raw Dog" comedy channel. :^)

--

Mark J. Fine
Remington, Virginia, USA