Re: [Swprograms] Best "SW broadcaster" website?

Re: [Swprograms] Best "SW broadcaster" website?

I'm not actually very qualified to be part of this discussion.
Other than the BBC WorldService and RNW sites, I haven't been to
others lately to know enough to comment.

But I echo the "anti-frame" line:  That is old "new school".
They were the rage for awhile, but most good sites have gotten
away from them lately.  Depending on what browser one uses, they
can be harder or easier to navigate.  I am a Firefox user
exclusive.  The change of focus by clicking in a frame with the
RNW website does not work in Firefox, and so I am forever being
forced to scroll with the mouse on the scroll bar, which is a
pain.  And I can respect Paul's comment as a blind user as to
the bain of frames, as I've heard the accessibility complaint
quite a bit (which is also why I try now to reply at the top's
of e-mails, as opposed to bottom as I first learned back in the
Unix days, just so it is easier for those with accessibility
concerns to read an e-mail).

But to me the hallmarks, in general, of a good international
broadcaster website would be direct and obvious links on the
front pages (and top parts of subsequent pages) to get to
frequency tables, programme schedules (which should be separate
from being tied to frequencies or vice-versa), and listen-live
links.  I dislike frequency tables that presume I only want to
listen to frequencies targetted to my area (as I'm sure you
other hard-core listeners also dislike), and so want to ability
to easily find a link to full tables of all frequencies.  And I
dislike "listen live" links that put up the query box that ask
the method to use, and then depends on a cookie to be stored,
etc., for lauching the appropriate feed in the future - in other
words, I want a listing of the various feed types and streams
that I can choose from.

Kevin Anderson

--
Kevin Anderson, Dubuque IA USA, K9IUA