[Swprograms] RCI rant (was Re: RCI Portuguese)

Daniel Say wrote:
>  Ricky Leong wrote:
>>... reclaim those twelve
>>hours of transmitter time (0.5 hour x 4 transmission x 2 freqs x 3 days) for the
>>RCI English service, for which there seems to be a lot of demand in the U.S., if
>>only for relaying more CBC programs.
>

> 	No, CBC already has their own sw transmitters,
> 	they just need to boost the power and add some
> 	new directional antennas.
>
> 	They don't need the RCI transmitters.

I should clarify a few things:

I wish RCI would produce/broadcast some original programming in English directed
to the Americas. Sadly, they have chosen not to. What is it about RCI's
so-called themed programming that isn't approriate for the Americas?

Failing that which I have just mentioned, RCI should increase the amount of CBC
programming over shortwave to the Americas. Many on this list seem to like
Ideas, for example, but it is not regularly heard on RCI shortwave.

On another note, I would like to question the wisdom RCI's "targeted
programming" in English. It fragments RCI's already tiny staff. Instead of
producing three half-hour programs, heard only in parts of the world, why not
produce two strong, solid hours of current affairs for broadcast in every
region, accompanied by a live newscast at the top of each hour?

There are some days that the three programs contain very little overlap -- and
many items on the three shows could be of interest to listeners outside the
intended target areas. Take yesterday as an example:

Canada Today to Africa:
- Child malnutrition in Niger
- African gangs
- Price of oil
Canada Today to Europe:
- Scottish First Minister visits Canada
- North American bison raised in U.K.
- Canada-U.S. relations
Canada Today to India:
- U.S. opposition to cultural protection in trade issues
- Clinton visit to Canada
- Unions support teachers' strike in B.C.
- Ethics and integrity in Canadian politics
- Canadian Governor General makes first official visit

Ricky Leong
Calgary, Alta.
--
The whistle shrill still lingers on