Re: [Swprograms] Channel Africa: Is anybody listening?

Re: [Swprograms] Channel Africa: Is anybody listening?

> 1. Who is listening to Channel Africa
I have listened to their midday (ET) broadcast (1700-1800z 15,285 kHz) in
the past when I was home, but lately I have listened to them mostly via WRN
on Sirius.
> 2. The quality of the signal.
My experience is that the signal on shortwave varies based on band
conditions, but is usually listenable with some atmospheric noise and
fading.  Never strong, however.  By satellite, of course, it is crystal
clear.
> 3. The quality of programmes.
I like to listen to them for news out of the African continent, because we
don't get very much information from there in our US domestic news media,
except the usual war/famine coverage.  Frankly, my biggest problem with
Channel Africa is understanding the English delivery of their announcers,
with such heavy accents.  It takes some getting used to, but is worth the
effort.
> 4. The content ( Is it interesting?)
Since I got Sirius I have been taping the "Tamtam Express" program from
Channel Africa.  It is a half-hour in-depth look at people and politics in
Africa, and it can be dry at times, but sometimes it is very enlightening.
For instance, last week there was a portrait of the "country" of Somaliland,
which I never knew about.  They are not necessarily an officially recognized
state, but they are separate from Somalia, have a stable economy, are at
peace and are looking for foreign investment.  The reporter interviewed
several government officials and business persons from Hargeisa, the capital
city.  I learned something new from that show.
> 5. What other topics listeners in that area might be interested in.
Don't spend your news resources rehashing the stories covered by US and
European news organizations... tell us about happenings in the African
continent that we would miss out on otherwise.  And don't forget to add in a
little Afropop music, we can't ever get enough of that!
-Scott Walker
-New Cumberland PA USA