Re: [Swprograms] BBCWS American coverage

--- Ricky Leong <rleong@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had always thought that the attraction of DRM was
> that it was non-proprietary,
> that anyone could manuafacture a radio or operate a
> radio station without paying
> some sort of hefty licensing fee to some
> corporation.
>
> See http://www.drm.org/system/technicalaspect.php
> "DRM is the world's only, non-proprietary digital
> radio system for short-wave,
> AM/medium-wave and long-wave. It has been endorsed
> by the ITU, IEC and ETSI."
>
> Ricky Leong
> Calgary, Alta.

It is though my understanding is that you would then
still have to pay licensing fees to companies who have
developed products based on the non-proprietary part
of the system.

Via Licensing Announces Availability of
Digital Radio Mondiale Patent License

Via Licensing Corporation launches new patent pool
with broad coverage
of both audio and modem patents essential to the
Digital Radio Mondiale standard

San Francisco, March 28, 2005

http://www.vialicensing.com/news/via_pr_0503_DRMPatentLic.html