Re: [Swprograms] Digital radio article in USA Today

At 01:18 PM 08/24/2005, Richard Cuff wrote:

>I didn't know that the IBOC stations couldn't operate digitally at
>night -- haven't I read a lot about how WOR / 710 New York's digital
>splatter messes up WLW / 700 Cincinnati?

Yes.  The early tests with WOR and WLW did demonstrate that the adjacent channel was interfered with by the digital sidebands.  That is why the FCC has not authorized IBOC (In Band Off Channel) operation at night.  They are trying now to assess if any of the stations care about their skywave coverage anymore.  I think stations like WLW which carry the "Truckin' Bozo" show for truck drivers would lose some ad revenue (truck stops, chewing tobacco, etc.) if skywave coverage was limited to any degree by adjacent channel IBOC sidebands.

Joe Buch