[Swprograms] Stoopid radio trick, stoopid enforcement

[Swprograms] Stoopid radio trick, stoopid enforcement

WQHT was, you will recall, the same radio station that came up with
the offensive parody of "We are the World" after the Tsunami disaster.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/queens/nyc-slap0809,0,5869526.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-queens

Spitzer slaps down 'Smackfest'

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

August 8, 2005, 5:01 PM EDT

A New York City radio station has agreed to stop its "Smackfest"
promotion, in which women slap each other for prizes, under a $240,000
settlement announced Monday, said state Attorney General Eliot
Spitzer.

WQHT Hot 97's parent company, Emmis Communications, agreed to pay a
settlement equal to the maximum fine it faced, Spitzer said.

Spitzer and the state Athletic Commission stated that the hip-hop and
rhythm and blues station held 24 "Smackfest" contests from April 2004
to January 2005.

Young women took turns "violently slapping" each other for concert
tickets and as much as $5,000 in cash, Spitzer said. Images of the
slapping then ran on the station's Web site.

"This agreement should be a wake up call to all those in the
entertainment industry who think outrageousness is a clever marketing
strategy," Spitzer said. "The law establishes set boundaries that
cannot be crossed to protect our community's health and safety."

Spitzer investigated the case as a potential violation of state law
regarding the promotion of a combative sport.
[...]