[Swprograms] Deutsche Welle Program Preview for August 9

[Swprograms] Deutsche Welle Program Preview for August 9

Here is todays program preview from Deutsche Welle, Germany

73s

Bill Bergadano
KA2EMZ

LIVING IN GERMANY

This week on Living in Germany, we go to a small town in Germany where
childcare is the number one priority.

That small town is not Bonn - as made famous by the author John Le
Carre, but Laer. Laer is a small town in the state of North Rhine
Westfalia and it's become a role model for other towns and cities around
the country where standards in childcare have fallen. Childcare in Laer
is so good that young families have started moving there to have and
raise their children. It's meant that Laer has one of the highest birth
rates in Germany. Which has made demographers take note because average
birth rates in Germany are so low, that some researchers joke that if
there's no improvement in the next fifteen years, Germans will be
extinct! So with the pressure on, Caroline Wincza visited Laer to find
out more.

MONEY TALKS

Getting tough on bribery
US and German authorities are investigating DaimlerChrysler to determine
whether some of its managers paid bribes to corrupt officials in Africa
and South America. Is this part of a new get-tough policy against
corruption by the West? A wide-ranging interview with Jermyn Brooks,
Member of the Board of Directors of Transparency International.

Doctors on Strike
German doctors take to the streets to protest poor working conditions.
What are their beefs? We hear from doctors and doctor representatives.

Redefining the Social Contract
German courts are being inundated by lawsuits challenging efforts to
reform Germany's labor laws. We explain the issues at stake, and what it
means for Germany's economy.

What Hath Netscape Wrought?
Ten years after Netscape went public and launched the dot-com bubble, we
talk to DW-World online editor Holger Hank about the legacy of the
bubble and what tomorrow may bring.

Springer Too Big?
German print media giant Axel Springer Verlag and television giant
ProSieben have announced a friendly takeover by Springer of ProSieben.
What does this mean for the German media industry? We take a look.