[Swprograms] OT: Loss of NWI (was DX Listening Digest 5-127 et al)

[Swprograms] OT: Loss of NWI (was DX Listening Digest 5-127 et al)

While "Current" is a different kind of network with a different focus,
I'm not sure it's fair to describe it as a "dumbing down" of news
right out of the box.  It appears to have taken note of the more
interactive nature of communications today; and of the distinctively
different ways under 35s use media.  I think it is at least an
interesting experiment that seeks to marry aspects of the "old media"
with the new and entice an audience that--quite frankly--seems to be
turning its collective back on what those of us over 35 commonly
recognize as the mass media.

I, too, lament the loss of NWI; but to be fair, that network had done
very little over the years to better distinguish itself or improve its
visibility.  If CBC television feels the same way about reaching an
American audience as apparently its radio side does, it too should
find a way to re-emerge on US television screens.  (N.B.: CBC Radio
One and Premiere Chaine (the French first network) should be available
to Sirius radio subscribers sometime this fall.)

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY