Re: [Swprograms] Sirius & XM hacking?

Receivers are apparently enabled by a data stream sent from the satellite.

It was interesting -- I had the receiver switched on, and it was
"locked" onto the preview channel.  I went through the subscription
enablement process on the web, then my receiver magically unlocked
within 2-3 minutes of completing the process.

My guess is that the digital format the information is sent in
requires some sophisticated circuitry to convert back to analog
audio...and there are likely only a few chipset manufacturers (I know
Agere is one of them) that make the necessary chips.  I would further
surmize that distribution of those chips is tightly controlled.

A good person to address this would  be Tracy Wood -- one of the guys
who presents satellite information each year at the Winter SWL Fest.
I'll forward your questions on to Tracy...see if he has any ideas.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA