[Swprograms] Sirius & XM hacking?

To Richard Cuff and others regarding satellite radio:

Since this topic came up, I would like to know if there has been
any discussion or coverage of "hacking" satellite radio in order
to receive it without paying the monthly fees? I've *never* seen
any discussion of this, and have wondered why ever since the
services started. After all, satellite-TV descrambling has been
extensively discussed over the years, and now and then one reads
about arrests of people who were producing or marketing illicit
descrambler gear or decoder cards. But similar info about satellite
radio seems to never be mentioned.

Note that I'm not looking for actual technical instructions as to
*how* to do this; I don't have any satellite-TV or radio equipment
and am not trying to actually do this hacking. But I've been mystified
by the deafening silence about this topic. I would have expected to
have seen some news items about the companies' anti-hacking
countermeasures, or busts of sellers of reception gear, but I never
have. Has this been addressed in these referenced satellite-radio
discussion fora?

Maybe the technology is so good that the systems are perfectly
secure? That seems doubtful to me but I suppose it's possible.

Exactly how are authorized receivers enabled to function? Do you
get some sort of card in the mail after signing up that you have to
insert into the receiver, and move it around from device to device
if you have both home and car reception equipment? Or do you
get a code number you punch into a keypad or enter some other
way? What are the actual physical details of starting up a
subscription?

73, Will