Re: [Swprograms] OT: Regional sports networks

Re: [Swprograms] OT: Regional sports networks

I've been following this thread and it probably should be pointed out
that Comcast takes advantage of a technicality in the satellite carriage
regulations that have allowed it to avoid making it's Comcast Sports Net
signal available to the satellite distributors until recently (it is now
on DirecTV).  I'm no lawyer but as I understand it the rules allow cable
(or satellite) companies to have exclusive content and not share it in
certain circumstances.  They aren't obligated (as are "broadcast"
entities) to engage in good faith retransmission consent negotiations.
Both the FCC and Congress are looking at changing those rules for
reasons unrelated to this thread.

Comcast is notorious in the TV business for being tough to negotiate
with and hard nosed when it comes to profit and loss.  Sports rights are
very expensive and in the end it comes down to how to profit off of
those rights.  If the best way to do that is to drive subscriptions to
your cable franchises by blocking satellite competitors, you can't blame
them for that.

As a fan though, it stinks.  The leagues and their various teams can
change the equation and increasingly they are by owning (starting) their
own TV channels.  Interestingly, it is often Comcast that is joining up
with them against Fox Sports Net and their regional sports channels.

-Rob de Santos