[Swprograms] OT Re: Who owns the content? (was Re: Sirius Canada (was 'An article fromglobetechnology.com'))

[Swprograms] OT Re: Who owns the content? (was Re: Sirius Canada (was 'An article fromglobetechnology.com'))

In many instances Comcast doesn't own the rights for distribution of
their content via alternative platforms.

Take the Phillies -- access to their games on DirecTV is via the "MLB
Extra Innings" package -- those rights come from MLB, not Comcast.
Ditto for the NBA, NHL, and the English Premier League.  Unfortunately
you buy the whole package, not just the package for the local teams.

As you know, the FCC has chosen to stay out of the fray for
non-over-the-air programming, which (imho) is the right call.

Individual states, municipalities, and even housing developers control
the cable TV marketplace.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA