Re: [Swprograms] OT: Satellite Radio market share < 0.5% of listening audieenc

Re: [Swprograms] OT: Satellite Radio market share < 0.5% of listening audieenc

> Today's "Radio and Internet News" e-zine/blog has an item regarding
> the relatively low and decidely male satellite radio audience
> demographics.  Hmmm...something like shortwave demographics, it would
> seem...

> Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

	No, as shortwave is a larger market.
	The Sat Radio is intended for English-Speakers
	only, and we know that short wave listeners, other
	than the few dozen who listen to BBCWS, listen in
	many other languages to broadcasts from home or to
	languages that they don't hear on local BCB media.
	And, in most cases, there is little delay in news from
	the other countries unlike most packages from the TV
	specialty channels.

Headline: "Study: For all satellite radio's hoopla, only .5% of
adults listen" From a press release from The Media Audit: "In 87
metropolitan markets with a collective adult population of
137,478,000, satellite radio has attracted a mostly male
audience of just 681,000 or 0.5% of all adults in the 87 markets
surveyed by The Media Audit. From a total sample of 117,737
respondents, only 571 adults (age 18 +) said they listened to
satellite radio at least once in the past seven days (7-day
cume).
....household incomes of $50,000 or more, but that 73% represents
only 0.8% of all households with incomes of $50,000 or more...'

"Satellite radio is not another technology that penetrates the
18-34 age market. Quite the contrary, The Media Audit surveys
found that 76.1% of all adult listeners are 35+ and 48.5% are
45+...
[ Rain adds ... ]
For further context, Arbitron, in their "Internet and Multimedia
2005" study (here), reports the weekly Internet radio audience
represents nearly 20 million Americans. Internet radio is
already where satellite is projected to be in 2010! -- PM
... >