Re: [Swprograms] Consultants view of BBC's public service role

Re: [Swprograms] Consultants view of BBC's public service role

FWIW, I think it's both necessary and proper to examine how traditional
values of public service broadcasting are influenced by recent
technological developments and the changes they have wrought.  For
example, some of the content found on cable tv networks like Discovery,
History Channel, etc. resembles that which was formerly almost
exclusively found only on PBS.  This has to have some profound effects
and understanding them and applying lessons learned therefrom can only
strengthen the genre overall.  So it is with international public
broadcasting, including radio, that has been tossed around by the fall
of the Berlin Wall, the advent of new technologies, the availability of
similar content from other sources (some of them commercial) and
changing economic imperatives.

Having said that, and having attended a fair number of consultant-led
seminars, I too grow tired quickly of the annoying efforts of some to
coin new jargon and create a mystique around what are usually rather
simple truths.

John Figliozzi