From: "Richard Cuff" <rdcuff@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Shortwave programming discussion" <swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] FW: World Service Feedback

This is one of the reasons I wanted to get that discussion going
regarding "what it means to be a public broadcaster".

Inevitably broadcasters of all sorts have to wrestle with the
"bang/buck" dilemma.

The challenge for a public broadcaster -- because it has more latitude
in its metrics -- is what does "bang" mean?  Number of listeners?
Average listener IQ?  Number of "opinion formers" who listen at 2 AM?

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

On Apr 11, 2005 3:22 PM, Scott Royall <royall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I must concur with you on this. I found the email to be quite eloquent in
> its description of the BBC's reasoning. I've actually resisted using the
> "bang/buck" cliché, but I'm glad you did because that's what this all
comes
> down to. The BBC is just trying to the most people it can on a finite
> budget. Understanding that doesn't infer agreement, of course. It just
> acknowledged a feality.

shown above.