Re: [Swprograms] CRI not going 24/7 apparently...

Re: [Swprograms] CRI not going 24/7 apparently...

> > Shortwave 24 hours a day? I haven't heard of it. But
>
> In the end of 2004 CRI Russian has announced that they
> are planning to introduce 24/7 World (!) Service in
> the Russian language. No time frame was given, though.
> But I'm sure that English will have a priority in
> becoming a round-the-clock service. Among all major
> international broadcasters CRI is the only station
> that doesn't have to worry about the lack of funds.
> What they have right now in terms of programming,
> hours on the air and transmitters is only the beginning...

	Internally, CRI staff have told me that
	the Russian service is the most important.
	English listeners will be somewhat miffed, but
	their section is the largest, most media
	aware.  Partly this is the effort to make
	China international and English is a major
	trade-language if not used otherwise.  English
	is used as "foreign" as media for foreigners
	and a few hip kids in Chinese media.
	English is CRI's most wide-spread language,
	along with French.
	Geopolitical considerations enter into
	everything.