Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

Re: [Swprograms] BBC E-mail: World Service soap Westway axed

> Never one of my personal favorites, but the article points out why it
> is to many across the globe and why it was important.
> So let me get this straight.  There was nothing deemed wrong with the
> quality of the program.  And it was evidently quite popular.  So, of
> course, it should be axed!  Given the "logic" pursued rather
> relentlessly by BBCWS management of late, this reasoning is perfectly
> consistent!
> And while you might think I'm just being sarcastic, I am.  But I'm also
> being factual.
> John Figliozzi, Halfmoon, NY

	No, it cost a lot in fees to the various actors.
	They've dropped the English languages lessons
	via the English World Service, required too much.

	Now the BBC Imperial Service has no drama, requiring
	actors, directors and assorted staffs along with
	writers.

	The unilinguals to the English service might not listen
	to the Pushto service but they've had a local language
	drama for a long time.  I'll refer you to the BBC WS Trust,
	  Linkname: BBC Worldservice Trust

	It's to be done cheaply until the Blairite Foreign
	office decides to drop it in favour of licensing
	various FM retransmitters for ex-pats.  They don't
	want to conceive of the concept of soft diplomacy
	in the modern age.
	And ex-patriates only want the market report for
	their shares, and the weekend soccer pools for their
	punts.
	(The Saturday soccer results was an essential piece
	of 'colonial' Canuckistan and Australand local
	broadcasts for many years, and everyone knew it
	was for the love of sport, but the love of betting)

	See Harry Helms comment on the use of DRM
	   Linkname: The Future Of Radio: DRM-USA Web Site Now Operational
          http://futureofradio.typepad.com/the_future_of_radio/2005/03/drmusa_web_site.html
       Date: Thurs,March 31, 2005 06:54:11 GMT
       size: 192 lines
	Sub-Link that you currently have selected
   		Linkname: a web page devoted to DRM