[Swprograms] Re: British accents out at BBC World Service

[Swprograms] Re: British accents out at BBC World Service

I find it more amusing than anything else.  After all, if I read this
correctly, this is regarding *new hires*, not existing staff, right?
So there could be no discrimination claim if a lack of British accent
is clearly spelled out in the job description.

My favorite international broadcaster for "flat accents" would be YLE,
may it rest in peace.  I was always struck by the non-European nature
of most YLE on-air staff.

Besides, we're talking *world* service, talking primarily to a
*non-British* audience, right?  Wouldn't you rather have someone for
the target language service with a twang that said target audience
would be able to understand?

Richard "the closet linguist" Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA