Discarded e-mail message

Sender: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
say@xxxxxx(Daniel Say) Date: Thu, Mar 3, 2005, 3:34pm (EST-3) To:
swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Shortwave programming discussion) Subject:
[Swprograms] Re: British accents out at BBC World Service Reply to:
swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Shortwave programming discussion)
It's all change at the BBC World Service where a new policy of
introducing "younger fresher voices" has begun to enrage regular
listeners.
British accents apparently are no longer popular apparently and one
reporter who did not fit the bill was sacked by telephone.
                And then we had the
pathetic and incompetent       Daniel Lack on BBCWS, from Pakistan
by way of       BBC R1?4? regional with his flat Canadian
  accent outraging local Brits.
                He was caught spying in
northern India before       the BBC gave him a cover later.
                As long as they are
clear and know what they       are doing we don't mind. Canada has
had a long       history of mild accents doing the news etc.
    on our radios.
The same approach is being rolled out at Radio Four where younger
reporters are being sought and producers have been told to focus on
black and ethnic voices in the latest programme offers round.
(Media News, Private Eye, March 4th)
                Ah, P-Eye. The way of
revenge for the powerless       in a media corporation.
                As it is, Bectu, (the
BBWS trade union), is having       its hands full with the current
staffs.
URL shown above.