[Swprograms] Re: WETA-FM in DC flips from a music / NPR mix to mostlyNPR / BBC

At 06:57 PM 3/1/05 -0500, John Figliozzi wrote:
>Given the dire straits that many local public radio stations are in
>today, it's probably fair to surmise that we will only see more of
>this.  All well and good to a point--most of us here like and
>appreciate the BBCWS.  But it is a sad statement on the state of US
>radio public broadcasting and its status in our society and media today.
>
>John Figliozzi
>Halfmoon, NY

No John, it is a sad reflection of the state of the people of the USA's appreciation and willingness to pay for classical music.  What is culture in this country today has more to do with Snoop Doggy than it does with Bach, Beethoven and Brahms.  That is really sad in my opinion but is the inevitable result of the dumbing down of our educational system and the elimination of musical training or even exposure of our young people to fine music.

Joe Buch