[Swprograms] Re: CBC Magic??

 --- Richard Cuff <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By comparison, I agree -- enthusiastically -- that much of RN's
> output is clearly superior to that of the CBC -- in part, because
>RN has a series of
> 15- and 30-minute programs that cover a particular topic week in,
> week out -- so you know what's coming and when.

Yup, and that's one reason I like their stuff so much. No need to
wonder whether what I am going to hear is of even remote interest to
me.

> RN also doesn't merit as much commentary here because, frankly,
> their programming is eminently accesible on-demand.  That's more
>than I can say for some CBC programming.

But shouldn't that mean there would be *more* comments about RN
programming? After all, the easier it is to hear, the more there is
to comment on, no?

> So...what do you Canadians think about the USA's NPR programming?

Well, I don't like too much NPR stuff. They (rightly) spend lots of
time talking about U.S. politics, which I get my fill of on other
stations.

Having said that, "On the Media" offers some good stuff at times, not
to mention rather esoteric too.

"The Connection", with CBC alumnus Dick Gordon, can be a treat,
depending on the topics chosen (but again, too much U.S. stuff).

My favourite would be "The World", which I guess is technically a PRI
rather than an NPR programme. It is nice to hear a "lighter" version
of the BBCWS's "Newshour".

I also appreciate the overnight relay of the BBCWS, from 10PM until
5AM (6AM on weekends). Nice to be able to hear it when I hit the
ol'sack and if I get up during the night.

I get my NPR stuff from the "local" U.S. public radio station in
Buffalo, WNED-AM 970 kHz.

73,
Peter