[Swprograms] CBC Adrian Shuman

CBC Toronto originates a program called Fresh Air which is carried on Sunday mornings from 7 to 9 AM local time (1200-1400 UTC in winter) on CBC North Quebec on 9625 kHz.  For the past ten years Adrian Shuman has occupied the guest chair after the 7:30 AM local news break to present a very interesting program of vintage popular music.  Listeners would send in some obscure lyric or clue and Adrian would research the song and dig out a copy from either his own personal collection or the CBC archives.  He presented the songs with accompanying comments as to the origin or significance in the time it was popular.  For example today's program included the tune "The D-Day Dodgers" written by Major Hamish Henderson of the 51st Highland Division in response to an ill considered, 1944 comment by Lady Astor, in the House of Commons, accusing Soldiers in Italy of "dodging D-Day".

I have enjoyed his segment of the program for about 10 years.

Today Adrian Shuman announced at the end of his segment that he would no longer be presenting his unique take on vintage music on Fresh Air.  I will miss him and "Adrian's Music".

Learn more at:

<http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/personality/index.jsp?personality=Shuman%2C+Adrian&program=Fresh+Air>
    Adrian Shuman - Fresh Air (Toronto)

Adrian himself will tell you his "great passion in life is the pursuit of vintage music on record." Or in plain words, Adrian is a hopeless record collector.

Coming from a prior career in Ontario public libraries, Adrian joined the CBC in August of 1988 as a freelance programmer. He worked on such radio shows as Stereo Morning and Arts National.

In the spring of 1993, Adrian joined the staff of the CBC Music Library where he turned his passion for collecting vintage recordings into a full-time career. "I'm extremely proud to be part of such a magnificent resource, and I feel privileged to be able to contribute to its ongoing development."

In 1994, Adrian joined CBC Radio One's Fresh Air as its music archivist and he's never looked back. "I'm having the time of my life," Adrian says. "Can you imagine what I'm learning from the requests of our wonderful listeners?? he adds. "I love getting lost in books and archives."

When Adrian is not rooting around at flea markets and garage sales, he's likely online looking for goodies and rarities on eBay and other internet sources. From time to time, Adrian does manage to get outside, where he enjoys photography.

Copyright © CBC 2004

Joe Buch