Re: [Swprograms] CBC Adrian Shuman

Joe Buch writes:

<< CBC Toronto originates a program called Fresh Air which is carried on
Sunday mornings from 7 to 9 AM local time (1200-1400 UTC in winter) on CBC North
Quebec on 9625 kHz.  For the past ten years Adrian Shuman has occupied the
guest chair after the 7:30 AM local news break to present a very interesting
program of vintage popular music.  Listeners would send in some obscure lyric or
clue and Adrian would research the song and dig out a copy from either his own
personal collection or the CBC archives.  He presented the songs with
accompanying comments as to the origin or significance in the time it was popular.  For
example today's program included the tune "The D-Day Dodgers" written by
Major Hamish Henderson of the 51st Highland Division in response to an ill
considered, 1944 comment by Lady Astor, in the House of Commons, accusing Soldiers in
Italy of "dodging D-Day".>>

Thanks, Joe...wish I'd have caught this.   It's one of my favorite songs;  I
wonder if this was Pete Seeger's recording of the song, or the Weaver's?

Hamish Henderson was one of the great Scottish folklorists, folksong
collectors, and writers.   He died just a couple years ago.  I had the pleasure of
visiting him at the School of Scottish Studies in Edinburgh, and watching him
"hold court" at the bar in Sandy Bell's Pub.

Saul Broudy
Philadelphia, PA   USA