[Swprograms] BBC local radio/Metropolitan bias

[Swprograms] BBC local radio/Metropolitan bias

>John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Mike:
>
> Doesn't the BBC have an extensive network of local radio stations?  I'm
> asking because I don't know--but don't these BBC Local Radio stations
> concentrate on the regions?
>
> I'm just wondering how valid the criticism is.  Here, NPR and PBS are
> often criticized as biased to the left and too "Beltway" (ie:
> Washington, DC) based.  While there is some truth there, it is far less
> than the degree to which it is expressed and much of the latter comes
> from people predisposed to have "a bee in their bonnet" over public
> broadcasting as a matter of principle.  That is, almost nothing NPR or
> PBS did would satisfy them anyway.
>
> John Figliozzi

Yes they do, they all have websites and they are all now streaming online if
you want to get a flavour of UK culture in the various regions. But the
criticism is of the national TV and radio networks being London based and
reflecting London attitudes and this is a criticism of the BBC that goes
back to from when the Corporation was formed.

As to comparisons with the criticisms of NPR and PBS regarding current
affairs coverage I am not sure if it is a perceived bias towards the left, I
am not sure what that means anyway now,  politicians of all parties here
have a mix of former liberal and conservative attitudes towards social,
economic and foreign policy. They seem to have lost the knack of balanced
reporting and letting the viewer/listener draw their own conclusions.
Culturally remember Gavyn Davies seemed to think that people outside the SE
did not appreciate arts programmes and wanted the endless derivative reality
based TV programmes Dyke commissioned.

Mike