[Swprograms] CBC on Any Satellite Radio

 --- Richard Cuff <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The general stuff I read suggests both XM and Sirius -- perhaps the
> CHUM
> proposal as well -- are likely to have their proposals accepted in
> some form
> by the CRTC.

That may well be true.

The question for me, though, is not which carrier CBC will be on, but
rather what content (programming) they will be putting out.

If it is simply a repeat of the main news & info services the CBC
currently has (which seems to be the case), will there be much demand
for it? Probably not. After all, why pay for a new receiver plus
monthly charge to hear something that you can receive right now for
free.

I think that new technology demands new programming.

Perhaps those travelling across large parts of the country will want
the service, but I don't think that many will. With a little effort,
you can hear CBC Radio One now, for example, as you drive across the
country.

The main selling point for the new satellite services will be the
commercial-free music channels.

Spoken word stuff will be far less important, as always.

73,
Peter