[Swprograms] Bye-bye, 1440 Broadway

You may have heard, on an old time radio show, the old jingle for NYC
clear channel MWer WOR (www.wor710.com) which began "W-W-W-W-somebody
stop me O-R." They gave their address as 1440 Broadway (Times Sq.)
which it still is, today, and mentioned the now dead Mutual Network.

But this winter, the studio facilities for their "50 kilowatt smile"
move down to 111 Broadway.

(Jean Shepherd used to play it, from time to time, when it was already
old)

(It occurs to me that because of their low frequency, they escaped
North American MW reallocation in 1941 so they must have been on 710
for quite some time.)

WOR was started at Bamberger's Department Store in Newark, NJ, later a
division of Macy's.

They later became part of General Tire and Rubber (RKO General) which
was killed as a broadcaster in a big FCC scandal.

Perhaps their most famous on-air personalities were the three
generations (and 75 years) of John Gambling's.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/224665p-192989c.html

mentions that they no longer have much of an archive (much given to a
museum) and that they have that godawful (for MW DXers) on frequency
digital system.