[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 2-8, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 2-8, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham,
which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page22

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 780, May 4 at 0132 UT, open carrier/dead air looping for KSPI Stillwater, and little signal from WBBM yet, even when the carrier is nulled; recheck 0158 UT now OC off, and mostly C&W from Colorado. FCC sunset in May for KSPI is 0130* (June & July 0145*); at least they didn`t leave it on all-night as sometimes happens (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, May 3 at 1221 UT, KZLS Enid in open carrier, dead air except for pervasive hum; comes to life on hourbottom for Blaze ``news``, ending at 1232 UT and back to dead air. Why should anyhuman at the station listen to their own output?? Can it be that hard to run automation so it`s fail-safe or sets off silence alarums? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** U S A. 750, May 7 at 0136 UT, preacher in English from N/S, surely KMMJ, Grand Island NE. Not in Spanish at the moment, a minute before my steetlite ignites for the nite. I also overlooked reporting this a few days ago: UT May 4 at 0133 UT, country gospel music in English from N/S, but by 0158 UT it`s off with WSB in.

KMMJ is that rare ``Unlimited`` station with a Limited schedule, 10.7 kW, apparently in deference to WSB. Per
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=10208
from 1977y, in May the KMMJ hours are 1115-0145 UT; June, 1100-0200
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, May 6 at 0144 UT, organ music from NE/SW, vs Rockies BB from the NW = KOA. Surely it`s LCMS` KFUO Clayton (St Louis) MO, altho May official FCC sunset there is 0100 UT. IIRC, KFUO gets to stay on until LSS in Denver, which is 0200 UT now. Can`t find anything at AM Query for KFUO about this, however. 0145 UT organ music fades or cuts off?

Meanwhile at 0146 UT, KOA pauses to promote ``Talkradio 6-30, K-How`` which was once a competitor, but now both are owned by Citicasters Licenses, Inc. Like me, never heard of that company? It`s a big `un, with several other Denver stations and all over the country:
http://streamingradioguide.com/licensee-list.php?showall=on&licensee=CITICASTERS+LICENSES%2C+INC.
perhaps with some more that aren`t streamers.

Also, while looking up KOA at FCC, I see that they have a CP for a 10 kW ND aux/backup site at a quite different location to the north and west of the main one, which means closer in to the city of Denver.

When nulling KFUO to get KOA, I am also hearing a weaker station in English underneath; it`s too early for Tacoma, so presumably one of several stations after dark in the South. My streetlight ignites at *0137 UT with a clear sky, 14 minutes after Enid sunset at 0123*, cooling a 102-degree day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, May 7 at 0134 UT, ``Abide with Me`` by choir; got to be those Lutherans again at KFUO Clayton MO. KOA easily nullable (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, May 4 at 0130 UT, Spanish mentions area code 832; loops NNW/SSE so that means it`s KYST Texas City (Houston) TX, dominant signal, 5/1 kW U4 per NRC AM Log 2013. Wiki has a table of unverified Mexican ``area codes`` showing 832 for several towns in Tamaulipas, not including Tampico where the state`s only 920 resides. I think those are more like exchanges than ACs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1100, May 3 at 0215 UT, talk host from NW discussing ``gamma waves`` (not rays) in his brain, totally separable from baseball on WTAM Cleveland from the NE and roughly equal strength until the former cuts off abruptly, how rude! 0215 UT is indeed official FCC sunset in May for KNZZ Grand Junxion CO, after ND 50 kW daytime. It`s 10 kW direxional at night, or 36 kW during Critical Hours, tight figure-8 slightly counterclockwise from N/S, approx. 349/174 degree peaks, 80/260 degree deep nulls, each almost as nully plus/minus 20 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, May 2 at 0127 UT, loops north/south, sign-off refers to FM 105.7, ``all oldies all the time``, and KKOJ; nice version of Star Spangled Banner by a cappella men`s choir (or maybe a smaller group, hard to tell in QRM) until 0129.

This is 5 kW direxional daytimer in Jackson MN, on I-90 next to the IA border with co-town Spirit Lake per website with program schedule:
http://kkoj.com/kkoj_schedule.htm
where we see that ``Your One and Oldies Music`` is the format on KRAQ FM, which of course is not signing off, while the AM is country. Sked shows off at 6:45 pm which needs to be updated now in May. In fact, per FCC AM Query, the last month with sundown at 6:45 was October when on CDT. 0130* UT is correct for May; 0200* UT in June & July. NRC Pattern Book shows a boomerang shape, with wings to the north and southwest; while FCC
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/198344-11103.pdf
is similar but not pulled in so much to the WNW, and we get a good bit of it to the SSW. Has a deep null toward the non-direxional not so far away in Marshalltown IA (and incidentally toward Fort Wayne IN)(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, May 7 at 0128.3 UT, I want to hear that real Star Spangled Banner signoff again like I logged May 2 at this hour from KKOJ in Jackson, southwest Minnesota, and there it is amid QRM, sounds like an harmonious male quartet and this time I can also make out some SFX of rockets and bombs, ends at 0129.9* UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1720, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, May 6 at 0551 UT, dominant signal is something new, Mexican music, long corrido, loops somewhat CCW from E/W. 0555 partial ID as ``La Ke Buena`` with no WLAC to be heard, but that must be in a fade, regaining shortly making 4 Hz SAH, during C2CAM; just after 0600 UT ID in accented English as ``WQQW, La Ke Buena`` and right back to music.

This is a 1 kW *daytimer* direxional toward me! COL Highland IL, address in Belleville = St Louis MO market. See my previous log of November 7, 2013 in DXLD 13-46, when heard around sunrise, updating entry in NRC AM Log when it was in English as a ``hometown station`` for Madison county, quite a reversal (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1720, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, May 7 at 0141 UT, Harold Camping lives! Not on SW WYFR any more, but on KKAA, 10/10 kW U4 from Aberdeen SD. And he is getting younger, judging from his voice compared to the last days on SW. Also had him at 0133 UT May 7 on more common Family Radio station, 920, KYFR, 5/2.5 kW U4, Shenandoah IA. Now at 0141 and 0151 UT I can tell that 920 and 1560 are // and synchronized. How fortunate we are, since the FR translator in Enid remains defunct from 88.3. KKAA dominant on 1560, no KGOW to be heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1570, May 4 at 0545 UT, in XERF null, Christian Resource Center in Beckley WV mentioned, unclear if start, stop or mid-program, but per
http://www.christianradiojournal.com/index.php/find-a-station.html
hovering over MO, they have a 1570 in ``Branson``, as I expected, my closest in the XERF null, axually KBCV, COL Hollister (Springfield address), 5/3 kW U4, with night pattern major lobe NW, minor SE, but we`re far enough off its null toward Del Rio. Furthermore it`s the only 1570 at
http://www.thechristianradiojournal.com/images/documents/pdf/crj_stations.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1660, May 7 at 0138 UT, C&W music from N/S must be KQWB, West Fargo ND, ex-True Oldies. That Channel is being abolished as of June 30 and affiliates are already bailing out. Three items about this are in DXLD 14-18. Soon overtaken by Rockies vs Rangers on the ``Texas Rangers ESPN Radio Network``, i.e. KRZI Waco TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1100, May 7 at 0131 UT some classic rock, seems NE/SW but surely not WTAM Cleveland. Music shortly fades out (or goes off?) as WTAM fades up with baseball. There aren`t very many 1100s around; both KKLL Webb City MO and KDRY Alamo Heights TX are supposedly Christian. KDRY`s May sunset to go direxional is 0115 UT; and so is KKLL`s as a daytimer, plus PSSA after 0115 of 5 watts the first hour, 3 watts the second; so what can it be? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. 1500, May 7 at 0144 UT, quite a mix of silly ballgames: basketball from dominant KSTP, Spurs game mentioning rebound after rebound which I assume does not apply much to baseball, but with SAH of approx. 5 Hz, another station best heard with KSTP nulled carrying Cardinals baseball, reference at 0148 to cardinals.com where I don`t find any obvious link to their radio station list. Searching directly on that, the best I can find is last year`s:
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/downloads/y2013/stl_radio_map13.pdf
And no, you don`t get 2014 by changing two numbers. Map takes forever to load and then you have to hunt for 1500s, as the map is not searchable. None found. Could be merely Pawhuska OK, I suppose, but last year the Bartlesville affil was KWON 1400. If DXM and DXN were on paper, I could have found baseball networks quickly instead of wasting a lot of time hunting & searching the pdfs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---