[IRCA] Alberta TP/DU for 19 Jan 2014

A much livelier morning than I've had for a while this morning. Unfortunately it was a "sleeping in" morning, so although I caught the sunrise, I missed what might have been happening earlier. As soon as I flicked on the receiver at 1455 it was evident I should have been up a bit sooner, as there were far more carriers than any recent day, and some strong ones on some not-so-normal frequencies, such as 1161, 1215, 1224 (several carriers). Down lower things weren't as lively, with audio only noted on 693 and 828, but even down there things were better than they have been. Above about 1200 khz I had a carrier on pretty much every split. 1206 was unusual in that it was on-frequency, so apparently not the normal Chinese. The mid and lower band seemed to fade as sunrise approached (which is now 1510 here), but the upper band above 1400 khz held in until after sunrise. In total I had audio on the aforementioned 693 and 828, as well as 1422 Japan, 1566 Korea, 1575 VOA, 1593 (China before 1500, but losing out to Japan after 1500), and 1602 Japan. Top signals of the day were both on 1593, with both China before 1500 and Japan later doing real well. Japan on 1602 was remarkably good considering the low power on that channel.

73,

Nigel Pimblett
Dunmore ,Alberta