[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, November 22-28, 2013

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, November 22-28, 2013

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** MEXICO. 920, Nov 24 at 0704 UT, amid QRM, Mexican NA audible and segué to Chihuahua`s like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmMt5lWMR4k
Per Cantú the sole Chihuahuan on 920 among a dozen other XEs is:
920 XEQD Romance + FM 95.7 Chihuahua, Chih. 1,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 1521, Nov 24 at 0125 UT, het upon KOKC OKC, no doubt the 2 megawatt transmitter in the NW corner. I wonder how many of KOKC`s Okie listeners know the source of this tone? Checked a few prime lower TA channels, but no others heard, without stepping 9 kHz thru the entire MW band (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 1521, Nov 26 at 0053, het upon KOKC looping NE/SW, and stronger a semihour later, presumed BSKSA 2000 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. Even tho I don`t start till after sunrise, Nov 27 proves to be hot morning for signals from here; 2850, at 1342, music. Best yet this season, and almost only, from the sole occupant of the 105-meter-band, KCBS Pyongyang. I always like this, since it qualifies as mediumwave below 3 MHz.
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Atlantic MW carrier search UT November 22: JBA hets or carriers: 1521 at 0141; 783, 549 and 693 at 0142; 882, 945 and 1053 at 0144 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific carrier search Nov 26 at 1300-1308 UT: 594, 693, 774, 873, 972, 1053, 1134, 1242, 1314, 1323, 1332, 1422, 1566. Local sunrise today in Enid would be: 1320. I wonder what my neighbor Richard Allen was getting.

Let me explain my method for this once: by stepping 9 kHz on the DX-398 hand-held with internal antenna only, aimed roughly NW, on the USB mode for frequencies on the hi side of 10-kHz channels, switching back and forth to LSB mode for those on the lo side of 10-kHz channels. The receiver`s BFO is deliberately left slightly offset [there is a zeroing pot under the display panel] so if there is the least carrier, its pitch can be heard (and roughly the same pitch from one USB channel to the next, and one LSB channel to the next). Frequencies in -9 or -1 are generally too close to North American channels to detect anything, and a number of others are a loss due to my 960 and 1390 locals, or because of IBOC noise. TPs seem never strong enough to hear a 1-kHz het without BFO, as can be done with some evening TAs such as 909 and 1521 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1430, Nov 23 at 1133 UT, amid the QRM I am getting something in Spanish, peaking roughly NNE/SSW. Of the several SS on 1430 in the 2013 NRC AM Log, none around here, not even in TX, unless it`s KSHJ Houston (SSE), affiliated with GRN = Guadalupe Radio Network, but not flagged as SS. Wikipedia et al., imply that it`s only in English altho they have three other Texas stations in Spanish, including the one we often get, 850 KJON The Metroplex. So maybe I`m really hearing a Mexican? Six possibilities but not enough to go on.

Note that I am no longer getting as a dominant signal on 1430, KZQZ St Louis, Good Time Oldies, which must have been running 50 kW day pattern toward us for several nights, and was also widely reported in North America, and even Europe, while it did (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)