[IRCA] Alberta TP/DU for 26 Nov 2013

Here in Alberta, the blanket certainly covered the low end of the band. The only TP heard below 1000 khz was Japan on 774, which was behaving quite bizarrely. It would go from fair audio to no trace of a carrier (or vice versa) in a matter of 30 seconds. Above 1000 things were better. Heard signals strong enough for language recognition from 1044 CRI China, 1566 Korea, 1575 VOA Thailand, 1593 CNR China, and 1602 Japan. Quite a surprise to hear 1602 given the so-so conditions. Also traces of audio were noted on 1269, 1278, and 1314. I could likely have discerned more from 1314 if it hadn't been an IBOC-impacted frequency. The split between upper band and lower was very stark, as I when had a couple of minutes of decent audio from Japan 1602 around 1443 UTC, I had no usable signal to check for a parallel. Had weak audio on 1422 as well, but regrettably the programming turned out to be ESPN, so a spur, with KCLK being the most likely suspect.

73,

Nigel Pimblett
Dunmore ,Alberta