Re: [IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight DU's for 7-23

Re: [IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight DU's for 7-23

Hi Gary,

Would it be possible to leave the camera and/or recorder running the entire session?  The first time or two through, maybe you could "scan" fairly quickly, stopping for a few seconds or so on each channel.  (I'd also love to see a video of a full DX session, to see how you do it. ☺)

Also do you have multiple FSLs and ULRs there?  Would it be possible to have 2 or 3 or more going simultaneously on different frequencies? :)

I've linked a few of my bandscan videos below.  Normally I like to use a Zoom H2n to record the audio (then later mate it with the video), but at the time, the one I had was malfunctioning.  (I have since gotten another one.)  In the videos, I used the camera's microphone to record the audio (which includes ambient noise due to using the radio's speaker).  For radios with no speaker, I connected to my Tecsun PL-398mp's line-in port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS1ZlpTClbA - 3:14 (3 min, 14 sec)
2012-08-07 18;20 PDT - SRF-59 (modded Murata AM filter) - slower bandscan at 34.07216, -117.29838 (this is less than 50 feet from a 590-KTIE tower)

The following videos were recorded on 2013-01-22 in the afternoon in my back yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJl5lebq4jY - Tecsun PL-398mp, ±1k BW - 27:06
At the start, I do a trick to modify the desense properties so weaker signals sound louder and seem to be more accurate as to their indicated signal strength.  Also, on several frequencies in the 1100s, I use another radio's local oscillator to beat with carriers that are otherwise buried under splatter.  (Suggestions as to a ULR that would bring in those stations with "armchair copy" without any splatter would be welcomed. ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouf7tw6aalE - Sony SRF-M37W (has modified AM IF filter) - 10:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUS17HH4V8E - Sony SRF-59 - 12:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7UIQ0EvoSQ - Tecsun PL-606, ±1k BW - 14:46
My PL-606's display is broken. Presets 54 to 100 are AM 540 to 1000, 1 to 53 are 1010 to 1530.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6_Li9_fKk - Panasonic RQ-SW44V - 5:18
This is essentially the same as the RQ-SW20 below, but less sensitive.  (Would this one be "deaf" enough to qualify as a "turkey"?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvW2NO3CJk - Panasonic RQ-SW20 - 9:06
This (or its twin the RQ-SW10) was my main radio since the mid 1990s, before I was aware of the ultralightdx group and others.  (This is my 3rd or 4th one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=315ITDCLMVo - Ultronics Sports Radio - 3:59
A radio just like this was my first ever radio - I got it as a freebie with a bike for my 10th birthday.  This was the radio on which I made my first EVER "DX" catch - 890 KDXU St George, UT.  It was right at the noise floor, and pounded by splatter from locals 860 XEMO and 910 KECR, but there it was! :)  This copy seems to have dual peaks when tuning across a station.  Also the IF frequency seems to be off considerably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnmLc4mdmjg - Coby CX-70 - 4:18
I got this just for fun at Fry's a while back.  Getting a TP on this (or the Ultronics) would be quite an accomplishment. ;)

Good luck on the DX tomorrow/today! :)
Some day I'd love to see your skills demonstrated in a stronger signal environment.  How'bout at a place like the southwest quadrant of Columbia Park in Torrance, CA? ;) (Due to 1070 KNX's tower not being all that far from there, a few stations on 1071 might be just a little bit tough, like 6WB Radio West from Katanning, Australia (2kW, 9280mi), Radio Kota Santri from Pekalongan, Indesia (0.25kW, 8867mi), and Radio Babil from Hillah, Iraq (1kW, 7726mi), but other than those... ;) Maybe they'd be tough with the ULRs, but shouldn't the Perseus guys be able to bring them in with no difficulty at all, while using an already-existing ~150.6-meter vertical receive antenna?)

73 and good DX,
Stephen