[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, February 22-28, 2013

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, February 22-28, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only. Or FRG-7, Sony SRF-59 when specified.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** MEXICO. 550, Feb 24 at 0616, a Suprema Corte ``tiempo oficial`` government PSA, dominant signal from NE/SW but with a SAH of about 4 Hz; 0617 balada music; 0623 ``La Super Estación, 550 AM``, 11:22 timecheck. Therefore it is, per Cantú:

550 XEPL La Super Estación + FM 91.3 Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 150
No sign of Low German or indigenous language at the moment. IRCA and WRTH agree on night power, if we can believe that: not bad for 150 watts, rather than 5 kW day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 730, Feb 26 at 0622 UT, Morse code goes by a few times, but I don`t copy it completely in the QRM: not RR as in CUBA. Must be TDW, which XEX DF uses as a non-ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 960, Feb 25 at 0600-0605 UT, local KGWA Enid continues to provide a Fox-hole of dead air most nights --- well, almost, except for that nasty hum. Carefully nulling it on the DX-398 by the window, from long experience I recognize three stations coming thru: at 0602, 4-descending `XEW` chimes really from XEK Nuevo Laredo; then at 0603 harmonica blues music presumably from WABG Greenwood MS.

And also ABC News from KMA Shenandoah IA --- the latter playing a clip of Oklahoma`s reaxionary governess Mary Fallin (at least: she`s anti-smoking), which is very strange, since I remember hearing a clip from her exactly 24 hours earlier altho did not bother to log it then. Could ABC have been playing back a day-old newscast? Or does Fallin get a regular spot on the midnight report? (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 990, Feb 26 at 1313 UT, Spanish ID as ``La Rocola``, ballad, and 1316 jingle, east-west. That`s XECL Mexicali BCN, per IRCA axually spelt ``Rockola 9-90``, 5/3 kW, a kilomile away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1300, Feb 24 at 1338 UT, VG signal in Spanish, timecheck for 6:37, so it`s the usual XEP Ciudad Juárez, which penetrates well even a semihour past sunrise here with its 38 day kW per Cantú (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1370, Feb 28 at 0713 UT, Mexican political discussion from the south with anti-sindicato sentiment (as the PRI President Peña Nieto is cracking down on corrupt union leaders), 0705 ID as ``Grupo Fórmula`` and then ads. IRCA shows two Radios Fórmula on 1370, but I`m sure this is not Nogales but the one in Monterrey NL: XEMON, 10/10 kW, relaying XERFR 970, i.e. the network flagship out of the DF. No doubt if I had listened longer I would have heard a 970 rather than 1370 ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 2910, Feb 26 at 1151 UT, harmonic here is often a carrier, but power outage today lowers the noise level enough to make out a few Spanish words, ``pantalones de color naranja`` (meaning prison garb?), i.e. previously identified as 3 x 970, XEVT, Villahermosa, Tabasco (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Checking likely spots for TP carriers around 1306 UT sunrise here Feb 26: at 1310: JBA carriers on 747, 828, probably Japan; at 1311, on 774, probably Japan, 738 probably Tahiti (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1110, Feb 26 at 0558 UT, soft jazz in null of KFAB making SAH. None of the other nighttime US stations look likely in the NRC AM Log, so switch to the IRCA Mexican log for most likely candidate there, XEWR in Ciudad Juárez, 500 watts at night, but there are several others (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1179, Feb 27 at 0540, very weak JBA carrier detectable hetting Omaha, loops NW/SE, so presumably another Cuban variant in the R. Rebelde jamming network, rather than Europe, despite:

1521, Feb 27 at 0542, NE/SW het upon KOKC OKC, rather late for the Saudi behemoth, but maybe a bit of the 2 megawatts are still making it thru. BTW, KOKC has a better night signal lately, probably fixed their antenna and/or the Minnesotan 1520 has quit cheating (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)