[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, February 15-21, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, February 15-21, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 960, Feb 15 at 0602 UT during the local KGWA Fox-hole of dead air, instead of nulling the still very strong 1 kW carrier a couple miles away, I risk shooting thru it and turning up the volume even higher, and am rewarded by a mention of ``Calgary, Alberta, Canada,`` so 50 kW CFAC is penetrating at least this far, halfway into the USA again, despite its supposed direxional pattern protecting us from it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=================

** OKLAHOMA. 530, ``K-530-AM``, Vance AFB the last few days I have noticed with a weaker signal in daytime --- at home QTH easier to null out for CUBA at night; and when passing closer to Vance in the daytime, on caradio could even hear some CCI under it, KTA TIS? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, Feb 15, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 530, ``K-530-AM``, Vance AFB TIS seems back to full 10-watt power Feb 15; Fridays also appears the base newspaper The Scoop, published by the Enid Eagle, and still not a word about the new radio station tho the What`s Happening column includes vital info like ``Low bowling rates set for Presidents Day`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Monday Feb 18 at 0600 UT, surprise, KGWA modulation stays on with Fox `news`. Must be a couple weeks since they did this instead of providing a 5-minute Fox-hole for DX. This carrier has a constant hum which becomes more obvious during the dead air, especially when trying to null it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Feb 19 at 0600-0605 UT, second night in a row local KGWA Enid fills the Fox-hole with Fox news; yet so far despite such sporadic reactivations, the hole eventually comes back for a DX window from Canada to Mexico (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Feb 20 at 0600 UT, KGWA Enid continues modulating instead of dead air for five minutes, but instead of Fox `news` it`s local ads and then a Bill Cosby comedy routine. What`s up? So I can`t call it a Fox-hole now (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Feb 21 at 0600-0605 UT, KGWA Enid resume a Fox-hole of dead air, but nothing new or notable audible under the carrier this time (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Feb 15 at 0555 UT I happen to be tuning across semi-local KOKP Perry, when the stupid sportstalk is rudely interrupted by a ``Triple Play`` ID for KOKP, KOKB 1580 Blackwell and KOSB (105.1 Stillwater, really the originating station, tho sometimes they split when there are too many silly ballgames at once.) Timer for the ID seems to be off 5 minutes from ToH, so now you know when to catch it (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Feb 19 at 0632 UT and later, surprise, no bigsig from ``US Country`` KGYN Guymon, tho it may be in the mix with WPHT, so must be running night pattern for a change if on the air at all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) also following nights

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Feb 15 at 0544 UT, KYHN ``Fort Smith AR`` is still on with promos only, ``Big AM 1650 . . . 10,000 watts``, ``preview of programs coming up``, now with heavy CCI, so believable to really be on nite power of 1,000 watts: they are trying to fool their audience about the power, which more than half the time must be 10% of what they claim.

1650, Feb 15 at 1309 UT, KYHN jingle ``Arklahoma`s talk radio, 10,000 watts, upcoming show previews`` including some I hadn`t run across before: Charles Osgood File, on Aurora killer; Sooner football; Meet the Press on NBC, clip example re Sandy Hook. (It seems on radio there is hardly any difference between CBS and NBC now: I know some other `CBS` stations carry MTP.). Just before sunrise here and after official Ft Smith SR, signal has resurged to dominant (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1650, Feb 16 at 0009 checking for KYHN, I have a weak station with sports talk, presumably KCNZ in Iowa, altho trying to DF it, seems more like Fort Smith direxion; has KYHN started regular programming or is it off completely? At 0011 Spanish takes over, talk about Enrique El Octavo, presumably KBJD Denver with a religious angle. Back at 0052, now I am getting two stations in Spanish, one surely Denver, but now the stronger discussion loops NE/SW, pointing to KSVE El Paso, which is supposedly romantic music rather than talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, further monitoring of KYHN, ``Fort Smith AR``: Feb 16 at 0638 UT, still running program previews, the same Geraldo Rivera one as heard before; amid lots of QRM. At 1332, the Dennis Miller promo, ID, also lots of CCI so at first I wasn`t sure it`s still there. Fritze Prentice in AR reminds us that its STA deadline is Feb 19, so once proved they *can* be on the air, may well redisappear as of Feb 20 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Feb 17 at 0649, KYHN ``Fort Smith AR`` is *still* running promo reel instead of real programming: now it`s the Dennis Miller one again with the snack guy (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1650, Feb 19 at 0654 UT, altho it`s STA expiration date for KYHN ``Fort Smith AR``, still on with boring program promo loop, yet again the Dennis Miller one with his snack-provider guest making Cheetos knock-offs, donating no less than 11% of profits to veterans. (Can I have some?)

However, next check at 1329 UT, shortly after sunrise here, I am hearing nothing but Radio Iowa, ad for an official fungicide, winter storm about to hit, so conclude KYHN is finally off again.

However2, Fritze Prentice on the other side of Arkansas in Star City was listening a few minutes later: ``Hearing after local sunrise February 19, 2013 at 7:38 am CST (1338 UT) the daytime signal (via skywave) of KYHN 1650 Fort Smith AR, and this loop of upcoming programming is soooo getting old. I'm suspecting that this zombie of a radio station is going silent again soon, but I've been wrong before`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Feb 20 at 0108 UT, KYHN ``Fort Smith AR`` is still on past its STA deadline, with program promotion only, not axual programs, including ``coming soon to Arklahoma . . . conservative talk radio . . . Big AM 1650, KYHN``.

Also Feb 20 at 1333 UT, Radio Iowa bigger, dominant, but then I can hear KYHN promotion underneath (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1657, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Feb 21 at 1303 UT, KYHN still on with promo reel only, at the moment for Mike Huckaby, who will be at 11 am-2 pm. Means launch is approaching? Most of the promos are not specific about times; then for own Morning Show, and for Clark Howard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==========================

** U S A. 720, Feb 15 at 0552 UT, WGN Chicago with YL talkhost instead of Milt Rosenberg; I had run across her several times after 0600 and assumed she started then. Mostly she does a monolog, sometimes amusing. Yes, Milt`s `Extension 720` is gone from WGN! And may have been for some time. Now it`s Turi Ryder, UT Tue-Fri 0400-0700, as in
http://wgnradio.com/turi-ryder/

I used to be a fan of E-720 until Milt came out as anti-Obama. I was more likely to listen on rare occasions when I was on the road during those hours, altho always having to cope with alternating fades in & out with XEDE Saltillo, supposedly only 250 watts at night.

Still, it was a rare show on commercial radio, with intelligent talk on a wide variety of topix, and there was a huge audio archive built up over the years, but now searching ``Extension 720`` on the WGN website gets nothing! The archive should be preserved somewhere!

What happened? Searching on ``Milt`` got one significant hit:
http://wgnradio.com/2012/12/18/wgn-radio-announces-new-weekday-lineup/

including:

``Extension 720 with Milt Rosenberg ends its 39-year run on December 20 with a final retrospective show featuring notable moments, guests and previous discussions that have aired on this illustrious program.

"Milt has added another rich chapter to WGN Radio’s history and we thank him for his service," said Jeff Hill, GSM/Interim General Manager of WGN Radio. "Though Milt will not be a full-time program host, he will continue to be a show contributor and have a presence at the station. We’re also very excited to add two female voices to our lineup and to Chicago radio in Carol Roth and Turi Ryder."

Rosenberg added, "I’m thankful to my listeners and I’m proud to have shared almost 40 years with them. We attempted to provide intelligent radio featuring the movers and observers of history being made as well as programs on established history, the popular and ‘high’ arts, and the sciences from cosmology to sociology – all mixed with frequent forays into more light-hearted fare."

Read more at
http://wgnradio.com/2012/12/18/wgn-radio-announces-new-weekday-lineup/#iICMzmw50xsowgFz.99
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[If all those quotation marks, apostrophes and dashes come out as Euro, TM trademark and other spurious symbols, as they already did when I posted this on some lists, since I copied that direct from WGN, that`s why, Dan, when I am writing, I use the grave accent (upper left on keyboard) instead of apostrophes and quotation marx. It doesn`t get corrupted in the ASCII conversion mess --- gh]

** U S A. 750, Sat Feb 16 at 1323 UT, Spanish ad for car parts business in area code 773, then song ``Amor Sincero``. 773 means Chicago, i.e. WNDZ Portage IN, the multi-ethnic station we usually hear in Ukrainian in the mornings, and tho there is no program schedule, Spanish is a language mentioned for it at
http://www.accessradiochicago.com/page1.htm
Fits, as WSCR and WGN were still in well, a few minutes after sunrise here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1050, Feb 19 at 1317 UT, XEG still in, but nicely nullable to produce promos for Ever-Increasing-Faith, and various programs later in the day including Joyce Meyer (sp?) at 7:45 on ``Radio 10-50, KJBN``, i.e. Little Rock AR, 1 kW nondirexional now past sunrise (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Feb 19 at 0627 UT, know-it-all Roy Masters, fair and steady signal no doubt from KAAY Little Rock. I assume the ``Full Station Program Schedule`` link to
http://www.1090kaay.com/common/more.php?m=10&mode=schedule&r=2
remains a ``work in progress`` as it still claims time available 24/7.

Regarding speculation about whether the STA for only 5 kW is still on their tight direxional antenna pattern, Ben Dawson points out:

``Glenn, See last line (Exhibit 16) in this STA application by KAAY:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101541001&formid=911&fac_num=33253
It was granted Friday according to CDBS. So 5 kW non-DA it is, unless somebody complains of interference`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1657, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Feb 19 at 0633 UT, gospel harmony from E/W, so WHKW Cleveland OH? No! 0645 ad for Family Pharmacy in southwest Missouri, a carpet service/store at 334-6049, 0648 local weather from ``1220 KOMC radar``, so it`s Branson MO, not bad if legal night power of 44 watts instead of 1 kW daytime, both ND. Meanwhile, I was getting another station on 1220 at a right angle (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Feb 19 at 0637 UT in null of KOMC Branson MO, a station with soul music, ``You don`t have to be a star to be on my show``, 0640 ``America`s Best Music``, singing ID for KLVL (? Sounded like), then doo-wop rhyming ``Don`t you cry``, ``lullaby``, ``hush-a-bye``. Also with usual LAH (low audible heterodyne) from off-frequency station. Must be KMVL, the Nostalgia outlet in Madisonville TX which has previously been identified as the cause of the het.

Hmmm, this is interesting, per NRC AM Log 2012-2013: besides its alleged night power of only 11 watts, instead of day power 500 watts, also: ``Synch KM2XVL Huntsville U1 170/11 watts``! So they have an experimental co-channel booster, but unlike KKOB & KKOB this one has its own clearly related callsign! Which one am I hearing, or both? And is only one of them off-frequency, or do they synchronize them so they don`t het each other in the local areas, even if both are off? Questions, questions (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, Feb 19 at 1324 UT, ``News-talk Radio 96.3 and 13-70`` and Texas mentioned. That makes it KJCE Rollingwood (Austin market), per NRC AM Log, a.k.a. ``The Right Choice``, and the 96.3 is only a translator, K242CE. 5 kW AM day pattern is broadly tangent northward (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 660, Feb 21 at 0656 UT, big hum only, seems roughly NE/SW. Nothing else audible; most likely KSKY Balch Springs TX (what??? Ugly name means The Metroplex, essentially Dallas) which is 700 watts night, rather than KCRO Omaha, 54 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1010, Feb 15 at 0608 UT, YL singing romantic music in Spanish, loops NE/SW, so not the usual KXXT AZ bilingual religious cheater. Soon announcement I think with time as 11:09, ID mentioning an FM frequency, but all I could get. In the IRCA Mexican Log there is one station each in Chihuahua, Sinaloa and Sonora, of which the first two are possible: XELO Chihuahua city, Exa FM with ballad format and FM 100.9; and XEWS Culiacán, Romántica with FM 102.5. If only I could have caught the FM frequency, but too much QRM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See MEXICO, later IDed

UNIDENTIFIED. 1100, Feb 19 at 0628 UT, WTAM `C2C` has some musical CCI with a SAH which is hard to null, making me suspect it be from near-opposite direxion. The AZ station talk format looks unlikely, and the NM station is silent, so that leaves maybe XENAS Navojoa, Sonora, which is CHR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1340, Feb 19 at 0650 UT, just above the graveyard QRM level I can hear ``AM 1340 and 97.9 FM`` and lost in the mush before any hint of format. DX-398 was aimed NE/SW, but cannot be at all sure of the direxion. Manually searched the 181 entries on 1340 in the paper-only NRC AM Log (including Canadians, LPRTs, why not?), and found no mention of an FM // on 97.9. Or course that info cannot possibly be complete as AM stations embarrassed by their own band are adding FM relays all the time, only translators if necessary, yet branding them as the primary for ignorant local listeners, instead of making their AM sound as good as FM by good engineering, even stereo. At least this one still put AM first. Probably no further than an adjacent state, but no fit for new KGGS Garden City KS, or KGHM OKC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2250 kHz, Feb 19 at 0615 UT, JBA carrier and trace of modulation from presumed third harmonic of some station on 750; weaker than 2660 presumed KGLD. These two the only `active` MW harmonic frequencies on the 2 MHz band. I know there must be other DXers with better antenna gain, S/N ratio or geographical advantage who could pull enough audio to ID this and other harmonic mysteries. Where are they? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)