[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, February 8-14, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, February 8-14, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 740, Feb 10 at 0634 UT, Satchmo atop KRMG, and from further north, no doubt CFZM; 0635 mention Fort Erie, ``Toronto`s AM 740``; makes 44/minute SAH with KRMG = 0.7333--- Hz. Maybe assisted by ``740, KRMG, Tulsa – Applies for STA; station has discovered its night pattern is out of tolerance and will reduce night power until problem is identified and solved`` as in AM Switch, NRC DX News Jan 7 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1656, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 800, Feb 10 at 0632 UT, ad for event at St. Anne`s School, 519-254-1108. 519 is the AC for Windsor, so no doubt CKLW, and DF fits, certainly not OKC, as this happened to be in a temporary fade from XEROK, usual dominator and close to opposite direxion, which soon resurged (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1656, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1430, Feb 13 at 0640 UT, some strange language catches my ear vs heavy pileup QRM; intonation sounds somewhat Esperanto which suggests a CRI relay tho supposedly only in English or Chinese, but followed by South Asian-sounding song at 0644.

There are plenty of ETHnic or Asian stations on the 3+ pages for 1430 in the NRC AM Log 2012-2013, in California, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, New Jersey, none very likely due to distance, night power (or daytime only in Morgan City LA, primarily Cajun).

Perhaps best bet is 50 kW day & night CHKT Toronto, listed as Chinese/ETH. NRC Antenna Pattern Book 2005 showed all its signals day and night go NNW, but Canadians typically ignore such rules. Do others who are not NNW from Toronto hear CHKT?

Ahá, found the CHKT program grid
http://www.am1430.com/en/scheduler.php
which shows Punjabi at 12-5 am ET daily, (Sanjha Punjab Radio), so this is a tentative rather than unID log. They have lots of Asian languages, not just Mandarin and Cantonese (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1656, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, I am not sure if the pattern for CHKT has changed over the years, but when they were CFGM / Richmond Hill I could hear them faintly during daylight hours in Western New York. The contour map shown at http://www.radio-locator.com shows the definite
NNW emphasis but also shows a SSE emphasis as well (Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA USA, ODXA yg via DXLD)

A number of Toronto mediumwave transmitters are located in the area between Grimsby and St. Catharines (southwest of Toronto on the west end of Lake Ontario) and broadcast to the NNE. CHKT is different as it was CJCL before it moved to 590. Its transmitters were located on the Toronto Islands and, since the ethnic groups they broadcast to largely live to the west and northwest of Toronto, they would naturally beam NNW (Mark Coady, Ont., ibid.)

===================

** OKLAHOMA. 530, Feb 11 at 0631 UT I monitor the Vance TIS to hear what they`re doing lately. Has been on air continuously since my original reports in January, and still unnoted by the weekly base newspaper The Scoop. I`ve brought it to the attention of the editor. They`ve added some local content, copied thus until repetition started:

Vance Crimestoppers phone number 580-213-7200
Hours for Commercial Vehicle Search Gate, 0630-1830 weekdays, 0630-1430 Saturdays
Amber alerts, sign up for free! texts
Booster seats for post-baby kids; starts ``They jump out of trees``
Harrison gate is open 24 hours
Hours for Baker(?) gate, not 24h
``You`re listening to K-530-AM, broadcasting from Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Oklahoma`` --- so now they have made up a callsign!
How to get info from FEMA
Crimestoppers, etc. . .

Previous experience indicates the selexion of PSAs and rotation may vary at different dayparts (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1656, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1640, UT Feb 8 at 0149-0155 on caradio, KOAG is in dead air again, audiblizing a mishmash of other stations, more than just WTNI MS in English and KBJA UT in Spanish. I suppose #3 should be WKSH in WI, if I can recognize Disney format thru the QRM. AFAIK, the only LA this side of Argentina is R. Juventus Don Bosco in the Dominican Republic, fat chance.

I was returning from a ``Scoping`` forum sponsored by the US Department of Energy, seeking input for an Environmental Impact Statement on a proposed 600 kV HVDC electric transmission line by Clean Line Energy Partners, to export wind generated power from Beaver County in the OK Panhandle, to near Memphis TN. Exact route yet to be determined, but passing south of Enid around Hennessey.

I filed a comment instructing them that the line must NOT interfere with DTV reception in Enid, in the fringe area from OKC stations, as DTV is extremely subject to disruption by even minor amounts of noise. The wind generators for this have yet to be built either. More about it at http://PlainsandEasternEIS.com

Scheduling of event at 0030 UT caused me to miss my usual 60 and 49mb monitoring session around 0100 Feb 8. When did Chaski cut carrier this time? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[Our first report on 1650 reactivated KYHN has already been distributed individually to these lists, but is included in our weekly archive at
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page9
of all our MW DX reports since August 21, 2011; further on that:]

Glenn, (I am hearing a weak signal/JBA on 1650 in the pickup. KYHN before going silent years ago had a decent daytime signal into Southeastern AR (Fritze Prentice, Jr., Star City AR, 1930 UT Feb 12, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650 kHz, Feb 13 at 0102 UT, I can still hear KYHN ``Fort Smith AR``, again running the Smerconish promo I had around sunrise, and still claiming ``10,000 watts``, which better be an exaggeration after sunset. This via DX-398 on the porch. Could still be on day power as dominant signal on frequency, unlike next check, FRG-7 with E-W longwire at 0620 when buried in QRM, and *still* running no real programming, just promos as heard before, now: Clark Howard show; I don`t know him, ``25 years of consumer empowerment`` but he has plenty of stations and his affiliate list is user-friendly at
http://www.clarkhoward.com/listen/find_a_station_near_you/
not including KYHN under Arkansas or Oklahoma. ``Our sincere thanks to volunteer Carrie Muller who carefully researches this list.`` Then:

Smerconish yet again about how he views his role; 0623 `Focus on the Family`, ``one of our best programs of the year``. Anyhow, KCNZ, KBJD, and KSVE now have competition around here, and I`ve yet to hear the peripheral Americans, let alone the Canadians or Mexican on 1650. Unless, KYHN is just back on temporarily to avoid losing its license at a Feb 19 deadline. If they axually start programming, that will be a sign they are staying (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1656, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Feb 13 at 2011 UT, I try to hear KYHN ``Fort Smith AR``, and do detect a JBA carrier in the sideband splash of 10 kW local KOAG 1640. In full day groundwave, unlikely to be from any other 1650.

1650, Feb 14 at 0055 UT check, *still/again* the same old promo for `Focus on the Family`. At 0658 UT, now it`s open carrier/deadair from E/W making fast SAH with Iowa. Did the humans, if any, at KYHN finally get fed up with all the repetition? A sure way to drive away potential listeners too (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** U S A. 960, KGWA Enid has continued to provide a Fox-hole every night the past week at 0600-0605 UT, during which only its hummy carrier from a few miles away remains. UT Feb 9 I first hear ABC news, i.e. KMA Iowa, and from 0601 mostly blues harmonica music, 0603 R-E-S-P-E-C-T, 0604 tentative ID at last for WABG, Mississippi. But I have been straining to hear such an ID and it may have been semi-imagined.

Previously: Hello Glenn, re: the 960 unID, did you hear anything related to "Awesome AM" or awesomeam.com? If so, that would be WABG. They are a periodic visitor here. 73, (Todd Brandenburg, Silver Lake KS, Feb 4, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Todd, Thanks for the tip. I`ll listen for that. I have never heard any announcement from the blues station during those 5 minutes. I may have to resort to trying to match the listen live, tho I normally turn off the noisy computer before starting my midnite monitoring (Glenn to Todd, via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Since then I tried listening to webstream while DXing the Foxhole from the coldspot, but it`s too close to the computer noise, incompatible. WABG website certainly emphasizes its blues format (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

960, Feb 12 at 0600-0605 UT, a little bit of everything but no IDs during local KGWA`s unmodulated Fox-hole: 0601 romantic music in Spanish, so XEK or XEFAMA; 0602 mixing with blues, so WABG Mississippi; 0603 ABC news so KMA Iowa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Feb 10 at 0622 UT, ``Old Rugged Cross`` in modern version not usual tune, 0624, ``Faith comes by hearing, KAAY`` ID, as Little Rock is back on air; fair and steady signal dominating from east, and I wonder if the temporary(?) 5 kW transmitter is also running non-direxional day pattern instead of usual tight NNW/SSE night pattern:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/72206-7327.pdf
I`m about 280 degrees from KAAY, supposedly part of the deep null in its figure-8 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

At 5 KW, KAAY doesn't have to be as directional as at 50 KW. I can't say for sure, but I think I'd heard they were running non directional at night, which accounted for several people hearing them where they wouldn't normally (Paul B Walker, Feb 7, NRC-AM via DXLD)

KAAY running 5 kW must still use the night time directional pattern, as it is their licensed pattern. They would have to submit complete engineering to alter the pattern. They could run whatever power they wanted non directional at night with an STA provided that the power level at their two night time nulls did not exceed the power level on those bearings that have been established in their night array (Jerry Kiefer, KBXD Dallas, Feb 7, NRC-AM via DXLD)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660, Feb 13 at 0617 UT, announcement and some music with a beat. Besides XEVT 2910, which is off the air 0600-1058, altho very weak, 2660 is now the most reliable harmonic frequency. Probably still KGLD Tyler TX despite legal night power on 1330 of 77 watts, but I once had a second carrier on 2660, so possibly something else (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)