[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, January 4-10, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, January 4-10, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Jan 5 at 0600-0605 UT, NO Fox-hole, as local KGWA Enid continues to modulate, also the last few nites. I fear my fun is over, but not before I snagged CFAC, XEK, XEFAMA, KMA, probably KNEB, et al. during KGWA dead air (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Jan 10 at 0600-0605 UT, after about a week of failing to Fox-hole, KGWA Enid does it again: dead air for five minutes, but nothing significant heard under it this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1000, KTOK: see USA below, KKIM

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, Jan 4 at 1531 UT, KOKB Blackwell in open carrier/dead air, while sibling station 1020 KOKP Perry is nominal with sports talk. The network connexions among these and studio in Stillwater are incredibly unreliable.

1580, Jan 5 at 2155 UT, again today, KOKB Blackwell is in open carrier/dead air, while sibling station 1020 KOKP Perry is nominal. Evidently the 1580 relay is unattended (and unmonitored!), so once it craps out, it takes a lot of time for them to send someone out to fix it; who cares? Stupid sports talk, when managing to modulate (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. More about 1640 Enid, now known as KOAG:

``Hi Glenn, Your ag station network originates from KFLP 900 in Floydada TX; we used to carry a morning farm report from them in Roswell [KCKN 1020]. The all-day deal is new as they fed maybe a half hour a day for a 20 station network. Their little 250 watter really gets out. Take care, (Jerry Kiefer, TX, Jan 4, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

That certainly is a niche format. I`m sure farmers & ranchers would like maybe an hour a day of the latest ag news and market reports, as already provided on a number of rural stations, notably KFRM 550 which has tremendous daytime coverage in KS & OK, but 24/7???? And how much original material can KFLP really produce, before repeating stuff? I won`t be listening enough to find out, but there must be a lot of duplication.

1640, KOAG Enid seems to have bumped the modulation up a bit, so even tho it`s mostly talk, still splatters, especially when on 10 kW day power with added direxional oomph toward COL.

I Googled for info on this, and while radio-locator had updated the calls, still linked to the old defunct KFXY website along with other Chisholm Trail stations. Little else to be found besides my own and another DX report of it.

Probably for the first time on internet: KOAG`s logo, or at least a visual from a display ad in the official show program for the KNID Agrifest, upcoming Jan 11-12, an annual business promotion event.
http://www.w4uvh.net/koag.jpg
KNID 107.1 is the base station of CTB, country music format; guess they thought it was a bit too early to declare KOAG the ``sponsor``. Maybe next year? If the format last that long (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1000, Jan 5 at 1330 UT, easily in KTOK null, New Mexico`s KKIM with several IDs in passing, ``welcome to Haley`s Comments``, hee hee, not only on 1000 but livekkim.com he says over the 10 kW daytime transmitter operating illegally, January official FCC sunrise being 1415 UT.

Tried http://kkim.com but that goes to a genealogy (?) site squatter, and KKIM is really http://mykkim.com Yes, program grid shows `Frank Haley`s Comments`, Sat 6:30-7 am MT.

It`s strange KTOK 1000 OKC hasn`t tried for more than 5 kW; maybe too close to Chicago, but 50 kW WMVP is not a factor here with huge cardioid to the east. Axually, KTOK has a CP for 5.8 kW, big deal. With much more power, it could have filled the mid-America gap among Chicago, Seattle and México DF (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. [Re gh logs of KXXT]: A couple notes, 1010 in Phoenix has about 40 kW in the lobe heading to the east, not real good about lowering power (Jerry Kiefer, Dallas TX, ex-KCKN 1020 Roswell NM, Jan 4, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Jan 4 at 1005 UT, ``1530 The Light, and KLBW1530.com`` then religious song. Guess what, this is a daytimer per NRC AM Log, 2.5 kW in New Boston TX, which is in the far NE corner just outside Texarkana. And it`s more than 3 hours before January FCC sunrise at 1315 UT! It does have a PSRA of 6 watts in January, but that doesn`t start until 6 am = 1200 UT! Also in the FCC Correspondence File is a $1500 forfeiture by the previous licensee for failing to renew on time. Now how about a fine for running daytime at night?

Checking their website, it forwards to http://klbw1530.weebly.com/ and is rather spartan with an emphasis on southern gospel music. Do they account for operating illegally at night? Well, their on-air staff
http://klbw1530.weebly.com/on-air-staff.html
gallery includes Ed Evans at 12-5 am, but they could always claim that was just for webcast, accidentally on the real air; and nothing about an FM translator (Glenn Hauser, OK, FRG-7, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, Jan 9 at 0634 UT, ``more of your favorite music coming up on Cool (Kool?) 107.5``; loops E/W, instead of boring Branson TIS. Another AM station which doesn`t even recognize its own frequency, and to make it worse, the FM tail wagging this dog is nothing but a translator, for it must be KRKE Albuquerque, not listed as such in NRC AM Log 2012 since the swap with KIVA 1600 occurred shortly after it went to press. The ex-1600 entry for KRKE says: 24h // K298BK, 107.5, ``Real Oldies,`` ``The New Cool``, close enough (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)