[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, January 11-17, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, January 11-17, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Jan 15 at 0641 UT, KSPI Stillwater, 250-watt daytimer, has again left its carrier on all-night, groundwave-steady dead air clearly from here in null of WBBM (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Jan 11 at 0600-0605 UT, KGWA Enid also with Fox-hole of dead air again; only ABC news detected, presumably KMA Shenandoah IA (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Jan 11 at 0620 UT and rechex later in the hour, KOKP Perry in open carrier/dead air; makes 3.6 Hz SAH with something else, probably KDKA Pittsburgh. Ho hum, happens frequently (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Jan 12 at 2234 UT, KOKP Perry trying to carry Fox Sports Radio, has severe audio breakups, unlistenable; this Saturday afternoon it is not // unscathed 1580 KOKB Blackwell, as these sibling stations separate when there are different sillyballgames to carry.

1020, Jan 13 at 1355 UT, KOKP audio is still/again cutting up, with KMMQ Nebraska, clear in its null, see U S A (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Jan 14 at 1354 UT, NO signal from KEOR Sperry/Catoosa with its never-announced or IDed Mexican music; just KMOX. Bruce Winkelman within Tulsa had first noticed it absent on Jan 13. Still off Jan 14 at 1822 UT approaching local mean noon.

2 kW daytimer KEOR had been active almost every day and often illegally at night for almost 3 months since first re-noticed October 18 as in DXLD 12-43, yet never reported by anyone except Bruce and me, as I search thru both NRC eDX News and IRCA Soft DX Monitors.

We may not have heard the last of it yet, with its CP for 10 kW day, 7 kW critical hours, tho you`d think broadcasting for 3 months with nary an ID, and even at night might get it into a wee bit of trouble with the FCC. But who`s complaining?

At AM Query I see KEOR is owned by ``La Zeta 95.7``. Googling on that leads to Bentonville etc., NW Arkansas, KSEC. Yet FCC also shows that on Nov 21, 2012, sale was ``consummated`` to Rafft Corp., in Rogers TX (NOT AR) (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1652, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, KOAG: afternoon of Jan 11 visited the 17th annual KNID Agrifest, and near the front entrance of the Chisholm Trail Expo Center, found a spartan table personned by a M&W from KOAG. Conversed with Jay Kopp, Marketing Consultant. Station operates out of OKC, not Enid, along with True Oldies 99.7, KZLS. Both are part of Champlin Broadcasting, 4045 NW 64th Street, Suite 306, 73116. Separate from Chisholm Trail Broadcasting, Enid, KCRC, KNID, etc., tho both are owned by Hiram Champlin. Says there is no locally-originated programming yet, but plans for some. The previous ``Faith 1640`` format as KFXY just wasn`t paying the bills.

I asked whether KOAG might go non-direxional for better coverage of rural OK instead of aiming at the cities; he`s not an engineer but thinx it`s possible. Agreed that coverage is limited toward the WSW as he recently drove back from Midland TX. Mr Kopp was formerly with Renda, i.e. KOMA/KOKC 1520, and the inevitable stories ensued of it being heard in Finland, Japan, and I added, Australia & New Zealand. Did not discuss QSLing KOAG, but besides the postal address above (rather than same as KCRC 1390 Enid as in NRC AM Log), e-mail on his business card is jkopp @ champlinbroadcasting.com and office phone 405.633.1099.

He did not find it odd that KNID, not an ag station per se, was still sponsoring this event rather than KOAG, which is. At the Agrifest, we also saw several pairs of gloves labeled KFRM [550] on various exhibitors` tables, but never a KFRM exhibit, presumably not invited, as the main competition. An intruder from KFRM had surreptitiously made the rounds handing them out earlier. Then there`s another further farm station, KRVN 880 Nebraska, also audible here on groundwave (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Saw a commercial/promo for Radio Oklahoma, a state network which includes farm among other news, on KWTV-39. Quick roll of all the affiliates, impossible to copy unless maybe freeze-frame, but also referred to station list at http://radiooklahoma.net
(Glenn Hauser, UT Jan 16, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** U S A. 660, Jan 17 at 1452 UT, KSKY Dallas is hard to null, but with KKOB inbooming on 770 more than an hour after sunrise, it`s time to look for KTNN Window Rock AZ --- yes, there it is with Burger King ad mentioning half a dozen towns where that exists in Navajoland. And it`s immediately! Followed by a McDonalds ad also mentioning its locations. Convenient juxtaposition for the comparative eater, but I doubt either of these fierce competitors would approve of such adjacency. KSKY makes SAH of 52/minute = 0.87 Hz with KTNN. Then news in English of AZ such as marijuana bust in Bagdad, and then of NM. Seems the cast is sponsored by the latter eatery, featuring a 300-calorie breakfast. At 1457 has switched to Navajo language, and 1508 still audible with Navajo chanting. KTNN official sunrise in January is 1430 UT; February, 1400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Jan 17 at 1456 UT, talk in English, 1458 call-in re guns, to 257-KDWN and then full ID as ``Newstalk 720, KDWN``, meanwhile mixing with UNID ``Jews-harp`` music, 1500 the 7 o`clock news. Nice to hear KDWN Las Vegas NV again, now on legal 50 kW day pattern starting at 1445 in January; 1430 in February (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 730, Jan 16 at 1410 UT, M&W talk in Korean, dominant from N/S, fortunately in null of adjacent KRMG 740 Tulsa, 1413 losing out to Spanish Ke Buena = XEHB Chihuahua, 1414 regaining a bit to mix with it. This is 500-watt KKDA, Grand Prairie TX, which just flipped from ``Soul 73`` format, much to the chagrin of the Black community in The Metroplex.

A call change might be expected, but maybe not, since to the DXer, KK = Korean and DA = directional antenna (at night anyway), and let us hope, never dead air. FCC still has it as KKDA. I wonder how many other full-time Korean-language stations there are in the US? WWRU 1660 in New Jersey of course, and likely some on the west coast. The Metroplex now also has Vietnamese, Chinese, South Asian AM stations, at least, plus lots of Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 750, Jan 12 at 2238 UT, ad for US Carpet in Chicago, in Ukrainian, with phone numbers except switching to English to pronounce area code 773, why?? That applies to the city of Chicago/suburbs outside the downtown/Loop. Of course, it`s 15 kW daytimer WNDZ Portage IN. It must have signed off at 2245, legal sunset in January. The only PSSA it`s authorized is a 15-minute extension in December from sunset 2215 to 2230 UT with 10 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Jan 14 at 0647 UT, `Red Eye Radio` program ID, so must be WABC NYC, the only 770 on their affiliate list
http://www.redeyeradioshow.com/article.asp?id=2531095
I was at first suspecting this weak talk signal in English would be KKOB or KKOB, but not with that show. Been ages since I`ve heard WABC out here more than 2 megameters away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Jan 16 at 1358 UT, open carrier from E/W dominant in KRVN null from the north. Obviously it`s KLRG Sheridan AR, surely one of the poorest examples of managing a 50 kW AM station, as frequently happens, still dead air past 1401, instead of `Canada Calling` from the WTAN Florida network as once heard at this time; then begins to fade vs KRVN signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Jan 17 at 1435 UT, *still* open carrier/dead air E/W with SAH in null of N/S KRVN NE, no doubt KLRG Arkansas, more 50+ kWh wasted. Do they know about this in Clearwater? Seems like its OC is still barely there at 1503, SAH mixing with religion in English, presumably KHAC AZ/NM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, Jan 17 at 1433 UT, announcer refers to http://slapstupidpeople.com That URL doesn`t work, so maybe meant http://slapstupid.com/ Then promo/ad for upcoming comedy night at Eagles in Lamar, so KLMR in Colorado. Apparently Eagles Lodge is a hotel rather than a fraternal organization (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Jan 14 at 0642 UT, `Coast to Coast` recognized, same speaker and subject as on 860, 850, 840, etc., etc., in WKY OKC null. Searching C2C website affiliate list at
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/stations
gets only one hit on 930, KSDN in Aberdeen SD, whose 1 kW night pattern is mainly toward the northeast,
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/105214-3689.pdf
with very little southward, from close to due north from here; new one, anyway, presumed (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also UNIDENTIFIED 900

** U S A. 930, Jan 17 at 1423 UT with WKY carefully nulled, an interview in English about highway projects with someone representing ``O-Dot`` --- I could swear that`s mentioned several times, and if I were not certain WKY was still in Spanish as ``La Indomable``, I would have assumed it was about the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. ``Our state`` is in the Midwest, center of a 500-mile radius. But finally referred to Missouri instead of Oklahoma, so must be KWOC Poplar Bluff, close to a right angle from WKY. 1432 fades back in mentioning ``our state`s sales tax`` is only 4.2%. (The MO state rate is really 4.225% not including additional local taxes.)

930, by 1429 UT Jan 17, KWOC is losing out to something else in the WKY null, ad for Southwest Exteriors, phone 828-something, which leads directly to San Antonio TX, so KLUP again; and 1431 San Antonio mentioned (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, Jan 12 at 0603 UT, ABC News and commercial breaks, presumed KMA Shenandoah IA as local KGWA is again providing a 5-minute Fox-hole with no modulation, except for some hum (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Jan 13 at 1355 UT, ``La Nueva 10-20`` by SHVA, Mexican music but not // 930 WKY which has happened before; in null of breaking-up semi-local KOKP Perry OK, q.v. This is KMMQ Plattsmouth NE (Omaha mercado) (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Jan 14 at 1358 UT, sunrise surge from KMMQ Portsmouth NE, clear with semi-local KOKP Perry OK carefully nulled. Spanish restaurán ad, slogan as ``La Nueva 10-20 AM, La estación de La Raza`` (which in Chicano thinking must not be considered racist). So still have not heard the alleged ``Ke Padre`` slogan as in NRC AM Log 2012-2013. Then live DJ with TC, ``un minuto para las ocho de la mañana``, and phoning Celina (sp?) in El Salvador, playing a bit of Mañanitas for her, telling her it`s ``Radio K en Omaha, Nebraska`` llamando, but no sign of a legal ID even as announcing in passing ``8 en punto``; 1402 it`s fading, losing out to KOKP. KMMQ`s official January sunrise for 50 kW day power is 1345 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, Jan 17 at 1417 UT, lengthy traffic report for ``the metro``, mentioning I-35, I-635 and 435, and finally ``the Kansas side``, so it has to be KCWJ Blue Springs MO (Kansas City market), supposedly religious. 3.6 Hz SAH from another one, definitely religious, probably still KCTA Corpus Christi TX.

I had quickly ruled out DFW, since it`s ``The Metroplex`` and tho there is an incomplete ring around Dallas, I-635, there is no 435. Likewise could be Minneapolis-St Paul, except all the rings there end in -94. I decry such crutches as ``the metro`` instead of mentioning a city`s real name. Oklahoma City is also ``the metro``, a 50% saving in syllables every time it`s uttered by lazy broadcasters (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Jan 17 at 1409 UT, usual fast SAH in almost-null of off-frequency KLIO Wichita, but this time it`s not KNX: ``Hello, you`re on DIA``, Bobby taking quick phone calls, also mentioning full call WDIA. He and they all sound like they are black. Topix all over the place. Bobby is defeatist about ever stemming violence, so why try? This is the 50/5 kW Memphis TN I don`t often hear. Day pattern has major lobe to the south, but a minor lobe to the west:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/646-6856.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1160, Jan 12 at 1433 UT, easily separated from KSL by nulling is something from the NE/SW, religious referring us twice to wyll.com in order to patronize local advertisers. Therefore I am confident it`s WYLL Chicago, né WJJD. (That public station in Champaign having the more apropos letters WILL tied up forever; note that the second harmonic of WILL would also be 1160, possibly confusing in some areas.)

FCC AM Query shows WYLL is licensed daytime for BOTH 50 kW, 2 towers, and 15 kW, 6 towers. The 2-tower pattern is broad favoring the southeast, but enough to the SW for us:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/185560-36.pdf
While the 6-tower pattern is an auxiliary/backup from a considerably different set of coordinates, with major lobe to north, hardly any to the SW:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1421498-114379.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, Jan 14 at 1424 UT, gospel huxtress in English looping N/S, but not something WOAI San Antonio would be carrying. No sign of anything else except weak Spanish, i.e. WRTO Chicago. WOAI had been in a total fade, but soon came back. So the religion must have been KFNW in West Fargo ND, which in January may start 50 kW day facilities at 1415 UT, mostly to the north, but some to the south:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1316214-107837.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1250, Jan 14 at 1428 UT, Capital One ad in English, associated with sports, 1430 ``Sports Leader, ESPN``, no Spanish at first, which usually dominates from La Equis, KYYS Kansas City. So presumed KZDC San Antonio TX, the most likely ESPN outlet anywhere around here, 5 kW non-direxional days, and seems N/S, tho KBTC in Houston (how do they pronounce it?), south-central Missouri is also ESPN (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1260, Jan 17 at 1404 UT, ads in Spanish, so KDFC Boone IA is the usual suspect, quickly confirmed by area code 515 mentions for Maestro Sebastián and others (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, Jan 16 at 1344 UT, ``ESPN 1510``, from Kansas City mentions ``teaming up with WHB``. No longer an audible het, I realize, as probably for some time KCTE, 10 kW daytimer licensed to Independence MO has been back on frequency, confirmed by BFO comparing to adjacent channels (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, Jan 12 at 1436 UT, Scott Simon`s voice so it has to be `Weekend Edition Saturday` which in turn has to be from the only NPR on 1550, 50 kW daytimer KUAT Tucson AZ --- oops, it`s been KUAZ since 8/11/2000; soon fades out, but back at 1443 during usual WESAT sports segment, about the only one I condescend to listen to since it`s now dealing with something important, brain injuries in football. Duh, avoid banging your head against things or people! Especially if it`s only for the reptilian entertainment of other males, and female hangers-on.

KUAZ does have a PSRA of 39.0 watts, October thru March starting at 6 am local = 1300 UT, the limiting station being XEBG Tijuana, not any of all the other US stations on 1550. A 10 kW so close as Albuquerque on 1550 should never have been authorized, but not hearing much from it today. There must be quite a clash between them in western NM, eastern AZ.

And a KUAZ PSSA also of 39.0 watts every month on a complicated schedule from sunset to as late as 7:45 pm MT (0245 UT) in January. SR/SS times in January are 1430-0045 UT; February 1415-0115, so it must have just gone up to 50 kW day power a few minutes before I heard it. What a pity a station capable of providing such a great public radio service to the western half of the country is so restricted (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1670, Sat Jan 12 at 1439 UT, financial talk show, poor signal from NE/SW, can`t be anything but Madison WI, rebranded as WOZN, on the new CBS Sports network, but must not be 100% silly ballgames. No sign of a program schedule at
http://www.madcitysportszone.com/
but ``coming soon``: a ``Fantasy Zone`` --- will that be another cheesecake gallery like WCKY`s, somehow correlating with sports? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 720, Jan 17 at 1441 UT, continuous ``Jew`s harp`` twanging, goes on and on past 1447 as I am DXing XEJCC and again at 1456 mixing with KDWN; see MEXICO and USA. Can`t imagine WGN doing this. Surely not some local device, sounds just like intentional amplitude modulation from somestation. Only other 720 around here is KSAH Universal City TX. Possibly they were out of order? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 900, Jan 14 at 0644 UT, `Coast to Coast` audible among the QRM, but no affiliates found on 900 at C2C website, either by Google search or by looking at individual likely mid-continent state listings. A new one? Ideas? Should check C2C later in case it`s updated (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Jan 17 at 1429, as KWOC MO is giving way to KLUP TX [see logs under USA], I hear what sounds like ``KRDZ``. Except that`s 1440 in Wray CO. I know of no relationship between that and KRKY Granby CO, the nearest 930 in the state, which I have heard before, different ownerships. On 930 itself, no similar/fuzzy calls to KRDZ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 960, UT Monday Jan 15 during another KGWA Fox-hole of dead air, I make out some harmonica/blues music at 0604 UT which based on unusual format I suspect is from WABG in Greenwood, Mississippi, but have never been able to catch any ID from (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660, Jan 17 at 1318, JBA carrier, and bits of music. Before QRT a sextahour earlier, I had tuned to this to remind me to check it first thing in the morning for likely 1330 harmonic I had previously detected when concentrating on 2910 third harmonic of XEVT. Really need to monitor 2660 deeper into the night, but likely further north and/or west than XEVT since that fades out a semihour earlier despite much stronger signal. Could well be US of American rather than US of Mexican. Also, comparing to 1660 signals, 2660 is very slightly on the hi side (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)