[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, December 28, 2012-January 3, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, December 28, 2012-January 3, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 960, as every night by 0559 UT, I am tuned to 960 to hear what I can during local KGWA`s pentaminute Fox-hole of dead air, which almost always happens, but occasionally not. The open carrier is so strong a couple miles away that I don`t expect to hear anything except when I null it very tightly on the DX-398, but at 0600 Dec 29 as I am rotating the radio for the null, I hear ``owned and operated by Rogers Communications``, and this is *not* in the KGWA null --- hey, I bet it`s CFAC in Calgary, which has to penetrate thru KGWA to reach me. WRTH and NRC AM Log don`t bother with who owns what, so I uplook Wiki later to confirm that Rogers does indeed own CFAC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFAC

CFAC is 50 kW, non-dir day, but direxional at night with a broad pattern centred toward the NNW with a deep null toward Enid, and hardly anything from eastward, clockwise to west-southwestward:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/305752-54653.pdf

But not tonight! Since 960 was originally a regional channel in the USA, I suppose CFAC is not protecting any particular stations, just supposed to keep its signal out of the western and central USA in general. Yet another Canadian which doesn`t bother to observe its night parameters as required by international agreements. Well, I`m glad to hear it this once thru my local, a neat catch, but obviously not worth listening to with its stupid sports format, as Calgarians seem to agree by its low ratings cited in the Wikipedia article.

Since I was getting CFAC, also checked 1010 for ``CBR`` but the bilingual Arizona gospel huxter was dominant, also day facilities at night; see U S A (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1650, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1130, Dec 30 at 0617 UT, mention of news1130.com as I was noticing distorted modulation on KWKH, so which station is this? Vancouver BC! CKWX, which passé callsign you won`t find anywhere on the home page. Perhaps it was banned when the old format ``CKWX Country 1130`` terminated on Feb 8, 2011. CKWX` nite pattern is supposed to keep most of its 50 kW out of the USA, heaving toward the west and north, but they managed to reach this close to Shreveport (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1650, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Jan 1 at 1356 UT, WKY with two ads in English, so does the New Year bring abandonment of Spanish? No! English ads are welcome, if anyone wants to buy them and not bother to reproduce them in Spanish. Followed by ad for the new MundoFox TV network (in Spanish), now available in OKC, if you ask your cable or satellite provider. Big deal, that could be said of anywhere, but does this mean MundoFox is not on-the-air in OKC? It is in Enid! As second subchannel of KXOK 31 & 32. Axually, MundoFox started in August on KOHC-CD 45.1 in OKC and presumably still is, not worth mentioning in its promotion. Angle is that this Spanish network is ``American, like you!``

At 1358, WKY brings up vamping music, and funny voice again saying ``Atención, cadena, el show [¿nombre?] de la música regresa en 2 minutos`` = the show will return in 2 minutos; 1 minuto; 45 segundos; 30; 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, ``La Indomable`` slogan and full ID in Spanish for WKY, but the letters pronounced in accented English. WKY keeps putting on the air this internal network countdown, not intended for broadcast. Must have run out of commercials to cover it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Dec 31 at 1939 UT, KEOR Mexican music is breaking up; hard to tell on caradio whether it`s the carrier or just the modulation. Seems like they turned this on weeks ago and then forgot it, never got around to programming in any IDs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, Jan 1 at 1404 UT, KFAQ Tulsa is quite weaker than normal. Must be on aux transmitter, as they have had problems with 50 kW main (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Dec 30 at 0625 UT, US Country has VG nite signal, i.e. KGYN Guymon is NOT protecting Philadelphia. It`s been like this for a long time, tho had not bothered to log (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Jan 3 at 0506 UT, Enid`s X-bander had a new call and a new brand, ID as KOAG, ``All Ag, All Day``, ``keeping farmers and ranchers informed``. 0515 ADM ad, also ``The Farm Station``; segments on sunflowers, sorghum, reference to http://www.allagnews.com
This is something syndicated by Paramount Broadcasting Corporation. No affiliate list as such on the website, but the Listen Live page says: ``Listen to All Ag, All Day! live across the Texas/Oklahoma Panhandles at 800AM (KDDD) Dumas-Amarillo; and across the Texas South Plains at 900AM (KFLP) Floydada-Lubbock.`` So it looks like KOAG is only the third station, they have not got around to adding on.

Further listening finds KOAG with IRN-USA news on the hour and half-hour (the latter with sports segment). At 1432 the news feed was suffering from IADs, digifarts and some hum. Legal ID still includes Enid-Oklahoma City. Plenty of market reports too.

This replaces KFXY, which lastly had a southern gospel music format, always subject to pre-emption for stupid ballgames, as I expect KOAG will be too. All this talk should mean less ACI for DX on 1630 and 1650. Maybe I`ll finally hear XEARZ.

Tnx to David Yocis of NRC who spotted the call change at FCC before I did on the local radio. Note that unlike most X-banders, this one is direxional with a figure-8 loop from east of Hennessey, between OKC and Enid so it favors both cities, but nulls toward the ENE and WSW, making it difficult in those direxions. Now they might wish to be non-direxional, better to cover ``all-ag`` areas in western Oklahoma rather than urbanity. And why not? It was a choice; they were not required to be direxional to protect anything, in fact making it worse for WTNI in Mississippi at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=================

** U S A. 600, Dec 30 at 0630 UT, refers to ``New Country``, seemingly from WMT Cedar Rapids IA direxion, in null of currently dominant KTBB Tyler TX (see separate log). Has WMT a new format, ex-news/talk?? 0633 refers to wmtradio.com, then Fox ``News`` minute. Later trying the website, with rising-sun rays, first much choose whether I listen to 600 or 95.7. Very slow-loading 600 subsite
http://600.wmtradio.com/main.html
appears to be the same-old news/talk. Maybe the ``New Country`` bit came from KSJB in ND, ``Classic Country`` per NRC AM Log? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 600, Dec 30 at 0631 UT, ad for a Tyler TX law firm, 0632 back to `Texas Overnight` on the Texas State Network, so it`s KTBB, whose nite pattern has a lobe NW, close to us. Dominant over WMT. Show originates at KRLD 1080, which I eventually find is running 23 seconds behind its affiliate KTBB! So the big one has a better chance of hitting the censor button before a naughty word go out on 1080 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 640, Dec 30 at 1351 UT, that deep-voiced weekend host of Coast to Coast, John B. Wells, surprised to hear him in broad daylight after sunrise here, but in null of KWPN Moore OK (né WNAD Norman, then WWLS), must be KFI Los Ángeles. C2C website claims KFI affiliate has it until 5 am PT 7 days, but link to KFI website shows Sundays only until 6 am, starting 10 pm Saturday. Would that be a second or third play of a previous hour? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 750, Dec 28 at 1321 UT, M&W conversing in Ukrainian, which means 15 kW daytimer WNDZ in Portage IN (Chicago market), which I seem to log one morning per season, previously Oct 26, 2010, and Oct 18, 2011, so I just barely made it this year. Latest official sunrises are in Dec and Jan at 1315, so just came up, from PSRA of 500 watts, which starts at 1230 in Dec, 1245 in Jan (not as early as 1200 except in March before DST starts, for some odd reason, as there is no ``limiting station`` these months, not even WSB). Ukrainian is also a Manitoba language, but no 750s there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 760, Dec 30 at 0640 UT I axually listen for a few minutes to a stupid ballgame, since it`s really late for one to be on live from WJR Detroit, coming up on 2 am ET! We are at fourth down, 28 sex to go from the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Tempe AZ (ex-Sun Devils stadium? Not that I care). And the MSU Spartans beat the TCU Horned Frogs 17-16! Whoopee. And it`s almost midnite even in AZ; why so late? Is it still too hot to play earlier in the evening in The Valley? Then at 0651 I notice that 820 WBAP in Horned-Frogs-land had also been carrying the game from a different perspective, post-game show. How many brain injuries tonite? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, Dec 29 at 1332 UT, mass in English with voice-over translations to Spanish, in KOA null. No doubt KJON Carrollton TX (Dallas market), and sounds just like what`s on WEWN 11550 during this hour. The Guadalupe station is affiliated with EWTN, but can`t find any affiliate list for Spanish at EWTN website, just SW stuff, while there is an AM & FM affiliate list in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Dec 28 at 1316 UT, local talkshow finally getting out phone number after fumbles as 501-492-5576, which means Arkansas, and website http://www.wethepeople.com Says he`s on Friday mornings only, without delays so no profanity, please. Is also E/W in null of KRVN so it`s 50 kW KLRG, Sheridan AR, now with own show instead of WTAN network. Re my observation yesterday of dead air/open carrier presumably from this, may have been due to widespread lingering power outages in AR following last week`s winter storm. But if you can`t get the programming to the transmitter, why keep burning kW at the site? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, Dec 29 at 1340 UT, nostalgia music, ``Crazy``, ``Happy Face``, N/S, no doubt from KSGL Wichita, which at least on weekdays presents gospel huxters in the mornings, and more on Sundays. Program schedule is obviously incomplete, with nothing shown before 8 am CT Saturdays,
http://www.ksgl.com/5.html
so perhaps defaults to more `Music You Remember` elsewhen. Daytime power boost to 250 watts from 28 at night should occur at 1330 UT in December, but 1345 in January; and it`s denied any PSRA because of XEW (which is no longer a dominant signal even at night) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Dec 31 at 1300 UT, San Antonio mentioned, Fox `News`, so KLUP again; WKY easily nulled, still on STA of diminished 1.25 kW non-direxional night power instead of 5 kW N/S (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 980, Dec 30 at 0603 UT, Spanish gospel music and phone 832-830-6563, looping N/S, which pins it on Houston TX, i.e. KRTX, COL Rosenberg-Richmond, address in Pasadena. Do they pronounce that as in Spanish, or English? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 1000, Dec 29 at 0622 UT, preacher in English in KTOK OKC null; or rather, I have to null this to hear KTOK. No doubt it`s KKIM in Albuquerque NM again, 10 kW non-direxional day pattern rather than 38 watts at night! Making heavy slow SAH of 77/minute = 1.3 Hz. Or rather it seems to be a Christian-counseling show than straight preaching, ``be obedient to the Word`` (which is risky considering The Word was written by mere humans with wild imaginations a bimillenium ago, then further flawed by faulty translations). Also when positioned to hear KKIM, some weaker Mexican music, likely XEFV Juárez, which when KKIM is behaving itself, occupies the KTOK null by itself (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Dec 29 at 0628 UT, since I had heard CFAC 960 thru local KGWA earlier in the hour, checked here for ``CBR``, but dominated by Bible story in English, consecutively translated into Spanish, looping E/W, a sure sign of KXXT in Tolleson AZ (Phx market), as previously IDed, and no doubt also on day power of 15 kW rather than 250 watts night (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Dec 31 around 0617 UT, live? religious call-in has two hosts moaning about problems with the delay circuit. At 0636, now a gospel huxter is praying, interrupting himself every few sex to exclaim ``Father God``. May have been Speaking In Tongues too as for a while I could not recognize a language, or maybe just bad elocution.

It`s amusing how different preachers have different tics, which I truly believe are mental illness --- some keep interrupting for ``Amen``, others for ``Praise God``, and now this. Oh yeah, I also have no doubt it`s KXXT Tolleson AZ once again with its cheating daytime signal at night, westward from here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Dec 31 at 1328 UT, `Midnight Cry` broadcast concluding with how to order audio in four formats --- so am I hearing Australia, where it`s just past midnight in 2013y? No, probably KAAY Little Rock AR, neatly confirmed at
http://www.midnightcry.org/broadcasts/radio.htm
showing only 5 widely-dispersed AM stations with KAAY at 7:15-7:30 am
altho not updated since 2010y copyright also showing times on WHR SW including defunct KWHR and never-funct ``KHRA``. I knew I had run across this somewhere on SW before. Speaking of defunct, website admits that applies to this preacher; another one of those ghouls.

However, before the 1328 minute was over, obliterated by another station popping on 1090 with Catholic programming in progress about the Komen Foundation and Planned Parenthood: Komen woman saying she was misrepresented by bad press in the recent clash over Choice. She too is interrupted clumsily at 1329 for a sign-on announcement from KEXS Excelsior Springs MO, the Catholic station I was expecting, YL saying 3400 watts, and back to Komen/PP stuff in progress (from EWTN, no doubt, obsessed with abortion, as an affiliate of it), seems part of a year-in-review. NRC AM Log however shows 8 kW daytimer, with 4 kW critical hours, and FCC AM Query agrees, so where does she get 3.4 kW? Maybe admitting true reduced power from decrepit transmitter? But plenty to overcome mighty KAAY (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, Dec 31 at 0604 UT, unusual dead air from KMOX, don`t know for how long, but started own newscast at 0604:20. Meanwhile, KEOR Oklahoma was QRM-free (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Dec 30 at 0617 UT, Shreveport ad with distorted modulation, not selective fade, so KWKH has problems. Then QRM with a website as news1130.com --- guess what, that leads to CKWX, so logged under CANADA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1670, Jan 1 at 1409 UT, non-Xmas music from the direxion of Madison WI. WTDY is history; now it`s WOZN, which everyone expects to join a CBS sports network, but not quite yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. 870, Dec 31 at 1302 UT, forecast in the 20s with possible snow; 2012y ag weather discussed ``for the state``, but which?? Surely not WWL and not from the SE; and not KFJZ TX either since it`s too urban too and Vietnamese.

Two possibilities in NRC AM Log, neither with an ag format, but might still do that in the mornings: WINU Shelbyville IL, religious, but that`s also too urban, really in St. Louis market.

How about this? KAAN Bethany MO, oldies, ``Radio Can``, 930-watt ND daytimer airable once WWL`s sun rises. Is there a program schedule on their ad-cluttered website? Of course not, but there is a link to ag news from elsewhere, so it`s on their radar:
http://www.northwestmoinfo.com/
I don`t see a ``Radio Can`` on the website, but ``AMERIKAAN``, hee2.

Meanwhile, it`s losing out to Mexican NA at 1303, and XETAR Chihuahua in the opposite direxion dominant by 1305 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 960, Dec 30 at 0600 UT, ``In the Middle of the Night`` is appropriately playing, and seems to DF ESE/WNW or so, which points to WABG in Greenwood, Mississippi and its blues format, but never definitely IDed. During Fox-hole of dead air from local KGWA, which just before 0600 played a local intro to the non-existent Fox `News` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660, Dec 31 at 1249 UT, very weak to JBA music, until fadeout around 1255. Likely another broadcast harmonic, 2 x 1330. For further checking earlier; hope it comes in stronger than 2910 has (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) 2910 being a Mexican

UNIDENTIFIED. 4110, Dec 28 at 1246 UT, I make a point of looking for WGOH in Grayson KY, 3 x 1370 which Harold Frodge has heard in MI in the evening. 1245 is when they should start 5 kW non-direxional day power in December and January; until 2215 in Dec, 2230 in Jan. But all I get now is a JBA carrier, and SSB ACI. Nothing at earlier check 1218 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)