[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, December 21-27, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, December 21-27, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 650, Dec 23 at 1318 UT, something in WSM null with fast SAH; not KGAB WY as usual, but ads for Saskatoon, Ticketmaster with event calendar into March or April, ``Newstalk 650 CKOM`` IDs, Best of John Gormley show. FCC shows night pattern with deep null toward WSM and precious little toward Enid, so surely not in use: http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/305262-68381.pdf
while day pattern is close to circular with slight pull-ins to the SE and SW:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/305262-68380.pdf
Likely used instead. And power is 10 kW day and night. FCC has SR/SS times in Eastern zone! 10:00 am in Dec, 10:15 in Jan = 1500 and 1515 UT. Own website http://www.newstalk650.com/ includes John Gormley (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. [Re my log of CKJH 750 Melfort Sask, more follow-ups]

Glenn, Saw this and did some checking and the designator for the antenna for CKJH in the Log is incorrect. They are actually U4 now  using 2 towers in the day with and 4 towers at night. I believe the pattern in the old 6th edition Pattern Book was before they upgraded to 25 kw fulltime. We're in the process of creating a new 7th edition of the pattern book, but as with all volunteer projects it will take a while. 73 (Wayne Heinen, Editor NRC AM Radio Log, Dec 21, NRC-AM via DXLD)

CKJH has been a pest here in IL for many years. I strongly suspect that they, like quite a few Canadian stations, are not running proper night pattern.
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/495272-55020.pdf
73 KAZ (Neil Kazaross, ibid.)

======================

** OKLAHOMA. Request to extend existing STAs was filed by:
WKY-930 Oklahoma City OK
(U1 5000/1000 due to antenna problems)
(AM Switch, NRC DX News Dec 3 via DXLD)

WKY`s correspondence file at FCC includes this from May 22, 2012, expiring 6 months later, authorizing extending the FCC at that time:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=34004
And there are also previous letters in the correspondence file. This shows authorized N/D night power of 1.25 kW, not 1 kW.

``This is in reference to the request filed April 12, 2012, on behalf of Radio License Holding CBC, LLC ("CBC"). CBC requests further extension of the special temporary authority ("STA") granted on January 25, 2011, to operate Station WKY with an emergency nondirectional antenna and reduced power.' In support of the request, CBC provides a report of its progress toward restoring licensed operation.

Our review indicates that the licensee has made substantial progress toward restoring licensed operation. Thus, extension of STA is warranted. Accordingly, the request for extension of STA IS HEREBY GRANTED. Station WKY may continue to operate with an emergency nondirectional antenna and reduced power not to exceed 5 kW daytime and 1.25 kW nighttime, as necessary to facilitate the transmitter plant relocation and 'WKY is licensed for operation on 930 kHz with 5 kilowatts daytime and 5 kilowatts nighttime, employing a directional antenna during nighttime hours only (DA-N-U). ``

Special temporary authorization from FCC may explain why I can
rather easily null WKY and pull in some other stations. So not looking
forward to resumption of 5 kW direxional toward Enid at night.

And there are also previous letters in the correspondence file (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

930, Dec 25 at 1400 UT, WKY OKC is in dead air, allowing easy ID of KLUP (see USA). By 1416 has resumed modulation, but strange: Loop in English says ``Around the World`` over and over, and every minute there is a countdown in Spanish by a funny voice: 1417, ``comienza el show en 3 minutos``, then 2, then 1, then at 1420 a countdown by seconds from 10 to 1, ``La Indomable`` slogan and into Mexican music. Same thing was on 1020 Nebraska: see U S A (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Dec 25 at 1420 UT, KOKP Perry is in open carrier/dead air. This often happens but no doubt the holiday made it more likely. Facilitated hearing KMMQ, Nebraska, see U S A.

1580, Dec 25 at 1432 UT, KOKB Blackwell is in open carrier/dead air like sibling station KOKP 1020, facilitating audibility of some other US stations, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Dec 24 at 0603 UT, KMOX has a SAH but no music audible even with KMOX nulled. Believe daytimer KEOR Sperry/Catoosa/Tulsa is still transmitting, but not modulating at night. At 1448 still usual SAH with remnant of KMOX, and weak Spanish music audible. I`m surprised how few DXers outside OK have reported KEOR when it was 24/7, and may be again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1120, Dec 25 at 1452 UT, carrier is cutting off and on, could it be yet another big station with big problems, KMOX? Finally decide it`s just KEOR, as Spanish music is OK for a bit from its direxion; 1458 carrier breaking up less than before, but 1459 total breakup (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1120, Dec 26 at 0623 UT, KMOX has a 3 Hz SAH from KEOR open carrier, daytimer in Sperry which has been transmitting nonstop for weeks, with Mexican music, sometimes also modulating at night, never with any announcements, let alone IDs. Still hearing it in the daytime too without KMOX (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, Dec 25 at 1429 UT, KFAQ Tulsa transmitter is extremely out of order, cutting on and off the air rapidly many times per second, maybe 20, causing total breakup of modulation too during Xmas carol, ``We Three Kings`` --- yes, it`s Mannheim Steamroller again with `An American Xmas` show as already heard on WIBW, KKOB and KFAB. Breakup continues during a flooring ad. Recheck at 1438 now KFAQ is OK (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1170, Dec 26 at 1410 UT as I tune by KFAQ, talkhost is apologizing for ``signal less than desired in the past hour, but OK now``. Was not listening then, but it was also ``less than desired`` 24 hours earlier as I reported (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

============================

** U S A. 580, Dec 25 at 1409 UT, WIBW Topeka KS with ``Hark the Herald`` version by Mannheim Steamroller, then Chip Davis of that group with stories about Xmas traditions, such as how Xmas trees came to be lighted. Later during same hour, found same syndicated show on KKOB, KFAB, KFAQ, and had also heard it at local midnight on some other clear station I did not log. Includes national commercial breaks such as GEICO; causes talk stations to break format for the holiday. Not sure all of the music played was Steamroller`s (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Dec 25 at 1405 UT ABC News ending with item on HM The Queen being in 3-D this year for her Message, NM and ABQ ads, i.e. KKOB, sufficient and steady having gone onto non-direxional day pattern at 1400. At 1413 recheck I find it`s playing `An American Xmas` show from Mannheim Steamroller as also on WIBW, KFAB, KFAQ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Dec 26 at 1348 UT, in the E-W null of N-S KRVN NE, not KLRG AR or KHAC NM as usually heard, but something in Spanish. Ads for St. Charles, and then for Granite City, Illinois, all by super-hype voice actors, a tactic which repels rather than attracts me, unlike most consumer targets??

Anyhow this is obviously per NRC AM Log, WIJR in Highland IL, (St Louis market), on 1700 watt day power; night and day patterns are both aimed southwest, but I don`t recall hearing this before. I do remember when it was WCBW, but it`s been WIJR since 08/15/2006. Less confusion with WCBS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 910, Dec 23 at 1425 UT, report about polio in Pakistan. Sure sounds like NPR `Weekend Edition Sunday`, and yes, it`s // but not synchro with KOSU 91.7, so has to be WSUI Iowa City IA, our ex-WORLD OF RADIO affiliate, rarely heard here. Direxional day pattern has minor lobe at 245 degrees, null at 208 degrees, with major lobe almost due north. While our true direxion is close to 225 degrees (SW) (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Dec 23 at 1345 UT, infomercial about some brain remedy, 888-928-6928, in WKY null; KPDQ website posts that toll-free number as from ``Quincy Bioscience / Pre Vagen``. 1359 a different 1-800 number and maybe different station; 1359 IDs for ``Newstalk 930, KLUP Terrell Hills-San Antonio``, plug Bill Bennett show, 1400 SRN ``News``. Suspect call alludes to Loop 410, the ring-around-the-Alamo. This is well past local sunrise of 1315 in Dec (1330 in Jan), so on 5 kW non-direxional daytime facilities.

Another successful log by carefully nulling my semi-local 930, WKY OKC. AM Switch in NRC DX News Dec 3 reported that WKY had requested extension of an existing STA due to antenna problems making them 5/1 kW non-direxional, rather than 5 kW day and night, direxional N/S at night. December WKY official sunrise is 1330 UT; January 1345, so this log is on daytime facility anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

930, Dec 25 at 1400 UT, KLUP ID and news, San Antonio TX easily heard without even nulling WKY since the latter is in open carrier/dead air! Another Xmas screwup, see OKLAHOMA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1000, Dec 26 at 1357 UT, ``KKIM family weather`` jingle, local forecasts including hi of 50 in Albuquerque, ``New Mexico`s Christian heritage station``. Different slogan than listed ``Christian talk radio``. No problem with KTOK OKC nulled, 1 Hz away. Dec ABQ LSR is not until 1400, but they are obviously already on 10 kW non-direxional day power, rather than 38 watts night or even worse PSRA of 12.2 watts. Hey, aren`t Christians supposed to be ethical and law-abiding? Not when it impedes God`s Work! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Dec 26 at 1404 UT, ABC News ending, then ``1010 KSIR News`` by YL named Jamie Monticelli (sp?); clear in null of other stuff, led presumably by KXEN. KSIR is in Fort Morgan CO, COL Brush. Official sunrise in Dec & Jan is not until 1415 UT, but likely already on 25 kW day power; night power is only 280 watts, and nothing about a PSRA. Same pattern day and night with major lobes at 85 and 250 degrees, but not a null towards us to the southeast (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Dec 25 at 1419 UT, after hearing the funny-voice with countdown on WKY 930 OKC (see OKLAHOMA), surprised to hear the same thing on 1020 a few sex ahead, under the dead air from semi-local KOKP Perry OK, which I have come to recognize as from the SS station in Nebraska, KMMQ Plattsmouth (Omaha market). And after 1420 playing same music as WKY, so both are taking some satellite service, but ``La Indomable`` slogan must have been inserted at WKY only. NRC AM Log 2012 says the slogan of KMMQ is ``Ke Padre`` which seems rather strange and I have yet to hear (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sunday Dec 23 at 1434 UT, Mormon Tabernacle announcer introducing a series of Xmas carols, loops NW/SE, surely KRCN Longmont CO. Yes, matches their sked, `Music and the Spoken Word`, Sun 7:30 am:
http://krcnradio.com/schedules/krcn-am-1060
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Dec 23 at 1330 UT, SRN ``News``, ``AM 10-70 KNTH`` ID, plug Iheartradio streaming, i.e. U4 10/5 kW Houston TX, ``Intelligent Talk Radio`` per NRC AM Log. I beg to differ if they affiliate with far-right far-Christian SRN. Found this after rotating from Mormon Tabernacle, probably KNX; and unusually not much from KLIO Wichita except a fast SAH. Official KNTH sunrise in Dec and Jan is 1315 UT, so must be on day power and pattern using 11 towers vs only 9 at night! Here`s the day pattern with major lobe to SSE, secondary NNW usward:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/58118-6865.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1100, Dec 24 at 1449 UT, Western Slope ads such as Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, which promises to show up on time; ``News Radio 1100 KNZZ`` ID, from Grand Junxion CO; 1452, a Glenn Beck substitute whose address is at a 1270 station; Mixing with Best of Mike Gallagher, thought Houston mentioned, but no 1100 there. Maybe that was just a promo on KNZZ? Some Google hits show him on that station, but not their own current website and no affiliate list on his own site. Gallagher is another far-right extremist, like most of KNZZ`s weekday lineup. At 1453 a third (?) station with some hymns/carols, mentioning Emmanuel (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, Dec 25 at 1422 UT, KFAB Omaha NE with `An American Xmas` from Mannheim Steamroller, like WIBW and KKOB, but not // 770, considerably out of synch. Not sure if this is a one-hour program or longer. Was also on KFAQ 1170, see OKLAHOMA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Dec 25 at 1423 UT, yet another station with open carrier/dead air for Xmas holiday, obviously nearby KLEY Wellington KS --- it`s amazing how many stations can`t trust their automation but do so anyway rather than having a real human being overseeing them on a holiday, if not everyday. Still so at 1457, but had come back for the news at 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1410, Dec 21 at 1316 UT, ad for Hi-Gain Feedlot in Farnam (not about antennas!), also mentions Eustis which is the next town down the road. This must be nearest 1410 station, KOOQ in North Platte NE, which NRC AM Log shows as 24 h with ESPN, but some of them also do some local non-sports programming. 5000/500 U2 with PSRA of 500, and this is of course pre-sunrise, 1400 UT in Dec, 1415 in Jan. Direxional night pattern has a broad lobe to the south and a slightly smaller one to the north (Glenn Hauser, OK, FRG-7 with E/W longwire, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, Dec 21 at 1314 UT, KTOE ID in passing and ad for Kia of Mankato. This is 5/5 kW U2 from Mankato MN; heard on the FRG-7 as I tuned by dominating frequency with E/W longwire. Night pattern is figure 8 NE/SW, favorable for us, while day pattern is ND. Official sunrise in Dec & Jan is not until 1345 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, Dec 25 at 1432 UT, tnx to open carrier/dead air from KOKB Blackwell OK, no problem hearing ``Sports Hog 103.1``, along with SAH, i.e. KHGG Van Buren AR; but soon overtaken by ``Real Radio 1580``, i.e. KREL in Colorado, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, Dec 25 at 1433 UT, ``Realradio1580.com`` and another mention of Real Radio 1580, taking over from KHGG Arkansas, while nearest 1580, KOKB in OK continues in open carrier/dead air. This slogan is not in NRC AM Log 2012, but it`s appropriately used by KREL in Colorado Springs. Here`s a story about the re-branding last August:
http://www.coloradosprings.com/articles/cochell-16055-time-media.html
The URL above doesn`t work, nor with www ahead of it, but instead as in the article, http://www.krel1580.com/ Their talker schedule is skewed, what else? toward the far-right; unreal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 680, Dec 23 at 1322 UT, in KFEQ cowboy-show null, sports talk with an echo. One is surely KNBR, so the other must also be ESPN. NRC AM Log possibilities: WCNN Atlanta, WHBE KY, but most likely WMFS Memphis TN (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 880, Dec 27 at 1402 UT, good open carrier/dead air from E/W in null of N/S KRVN NE. Most likely KLRG 50 kW in Arkansas; wonder if Fritze has noticed such anomalies from his local. Since the one day I heard it carrying `Canada Calling` at 1400-1405 from the WTAN network in Florida, I have not heard KLRG again, either no signal, something else or now this. Nor is there any Spanish audible, IDed yesterday before 1400 as from WIJR in IL.

By 1400 UT a bit of English preaching is audible, growing and overcoming the OCDA at 1409 with `Insight for Living`. KHAC Window Rock AZ is now suspected and it is on that ministry`s huge affiliate list, including scads of satellators, which is searchable only by radii up to 150 miles from any zip code entered, but for 10 am local = 1700 UT on KHAC. Does not appear for 880 in Little Rock or St. Louis areas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 880, Dec 27 at 1402 UT, while KRVN NE is in Fox `News`, I can also hear a slight reverb/delay indicating a second Fox affiliate is under it (besides the open carrier and other stuff in separate log when aimed into KRVN null). Per NRC AM Log 2012, there are three other Fox affiliates on 880: KCMX, 1 kW in Oregon, very unlikely; more likely: KJJR Whitefish MT with 10/0.5 kW non-direxional but which should still be on nite power; and most likely WMEQ in Menomonie WI, 10/0.21 kW U2, which would now be on non-direxional day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1080, Dec 23 at 0608 UT, something in English CCI to KRLD in its null, SAH of 216/minute = 3.6 Hz. Unusual to hear any such thing; altho there are several US stations with significant night power, none of them should be getting into an area this close to Dallas.

Maybe it`s CKKY Wainwright AB, which per NRC AM Log 2012 has a 9 kW direxional at night CP to move from 830? Unlikely: website http://www.key83.com/ shows it`s still Key 83, and wikipedia says a month ago they applied for FM 101.9 instead, another attempt to get off 830: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKKY (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1170, Dec 23 at 1435 UT, Tex-Mex music in null of KFAQ Tulsa, soon lost. Far most likely is KJJD in Windsor CO. Dec/Jan official sunrise is 1415 UT, so now on 1 kW non-direxional, altho they also have a PSRA from 1300 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1310, Dec 22 at 1357 UT, ``Puede Ser`` romantic sounding song, but I think it`s gospel; 1400 brief announcement I can`t copy and into another Spanish song. Still suspect it`s KKNS in Corrales NM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)