[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, September 28-October 4, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, September 28-October 4, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada, Oklahoma, rest of USA,
unidentified, separated by =======
Within each, they are in
frequency order

** CANADA. 990, Oct 1 at 0505 UT, CBW Manitoba with ``The Sunday Edition, Round Midnight``, part 2 of a special about Glenn Gould. Sufficient reception at first, but I bail out due to DXing priorities, planning to hear it later on demand:
http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/
But no! Streaming of the entire TSE program is now available only within Canada due to music copyright issues! Well, CBW is invading American airspace on 990; how is that really any different? They should put up a wall (or null to protect us from them). On second thought, please don`t (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Oct 3 at 0616 UT, Spanish briefly overcomes the 1600 KATZIBOC long enough to hear a 416-area code phonumber, i.e. Toronto`s CHHA, 6250 watts day and night, a figure apparently computed as sufficient to overcome Montreal in the local area. Soon faded back into the noise level (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=================

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, Sept 30 at 0500 during local KGWA`s 5 minutes of dead air instead of news, I null it and turn up the volume. I can make out ABC News again, with a slight reverb, so maybe both KMA and WERC, plus something else in the mix. I expect that KMA Shenandoah IA is the dominant one. Need to check other hourtops especially late at night in case KGWA silence itself elsewhen. Obviously no one at the station itself listens to KGWA (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, KGWA Enid: Oct 2 at 0500 UT it`s modulating some network news, so my fun is over trying to pull other 960s thru the 5-minute open carrier newshole they had been broadcasting for quite some time. Did my recent reports get back to them? I also checked at 0600 Oct 1 and no silence then. But this could happen again, any time depending on misprogramming of automation (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, Oct 4 at 0500 UT, local KGWA Enid defaults to deadair again for a pentaminute instead of midnight network news, noticed at 0503 so I hasten to null it, turn up the volume and try to ID something else. This time there is an interview, but maybe just part of ABC news via KMA; and also some music, possibly Mexican before KGWA remodulates with a local ad blasting on at 0505. Perhaps the holes of silence depend on day of week in the automation programming. Two nights before, UT Tuesday, there was none (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1000, Oct 2 at 0515 UT, obviously semi-local KTOK OKC, but surprised to hear ``Texas Rangers ESPN Radio Network`` just as a late game vs A`s is ending, QRX for post-game show. Surprised at this as KTOK is normally news/far right talk, but it is indeed on that team`s roster as in the June 30 IRCA DX Monitor. Normally I would rather not log a station at all than have to listen to a stupid ballgame, but this was brief and relatively painless. Spanish in the null, likely usual CiJz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. Shortly after 0100 UT Oct 4 during the first presidential debate, I tuned across the AM and FM bands, and found the following stations airing the debate; not a complete list, but those with obvious bigsigs vs the TV and computer noise which had not been turned off:

KOKC 1520, KRLD-1080, WHO-1040, KMBZ-980 (presumed), WLS-890, WWL-870, KOA-850, WHAS-840, WCCO-830, WBAP-820, WBBM-780, WSB-750, KRMG-740, WGN-720, KCMO-710 (or maybe KGNC). Notable was WLW-700 staying with baseball, and many other stations sticking to whatever format. On FM it was much worse, the *only* one being KOSU 91.7, which thought it important enough to pre-empt its usual ``The Spy`` nonsense after 7 pm. Everyone else stuck to gospel-huxtering, rock or country music, sports, etc.

NO US SW stations were found carrying the debate, not even VOA, which had promoted it being on SW, but probably only to Asia in their morning.

And I checked the TV networks available on extended basic cable here: NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, PBS, CSPAN 1, CSPAN 2, CNN, Fox News, CNBC, Univisión (in squeeze-o-vision, why??), MSNBC. A few others which should have run it did not: BET, Telemundo. I was not watching CNN, but noticed later that they were displaying instant-reaxion metrix at screenbottom (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 550, Sept 29 at 0601 UT, ``Farm Radio 550, KFRM`` ID. KFRM Salina KS is a local in the daytime with 5 kW and great ground conductivity, but at night it`s only 110 watts, so hearing it depends on absence of CCI. Night pattern
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/573266-73617.pdf
is a blob favoring SW, but ranging from WNW to SSE and we are close to due south. Its daytime coverage map, contour not calibrated, reaches way into Oklahoma past Enid.
http://www.kfrm.com/our_station.php
I often check their regional AccuWeather radar map which includes most of OK, and certainly Enid:
http://www.kfrm.com/weather.php
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 820 et many al., WBAP`s `Red Eye Radio` is not so much pro-trucker as it is anti-Obama, as it took only a minute of listening after 0606 UT Oct 3 to tell. What do you expect, originating from  Dallas where so many nex are also red? Dear Mr President, please do not ever consider going on a motorcade there. Or in Oklahoma (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Oct 2 at 1229 UT, Navajo talk and hymn mixed with AR & NE at least, but the language certainly stands out. I.e. KHAC Tse Bonito NM/Window Rock AZ. Whenever I hear this I also check 660 for secular neighbor KTNN, but again today its null is operative and effective, unlike KHAC`s (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, Oct 2 at 1227 UT, news about a rodeo in Sheridan WY, then about some other sports event involving students in Lamar. So it`s KLMR in the SE corner of CO, which I always look forward to hearing in NW OK on the way to NM, reassuring me I will soon be out of this backward state, at least for a while (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 940, Oct 2 at 0512 UT, what luck, just as I tune across I hear an ID for WMIX, then a slow song. NRC AM Log shows Mount Vernon IL, 1.5 kW at nite, ``The best music and the best news``, i.e. Nostalgia format (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 1000, Sept 28 at 1223 UT, once again with KTOK OKC mostly nulled, I am getting religious discussion in English about relations between husbands & wives; strongly suspect KKIM Albuquerque on 10 kW day power. Makes 88/min SAH = 1.47 Hz. 1010 Spanish preaching from Phoenix also in well (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Later: IDed as KKIM:

** U S A. 1000, Sept 30 at 1230 UT, with KTOK OKC nulled as best I can, same station as before making slow SAH like Sept 28 when measured as 1.47 Hz, in English, and now the ID is definite: KKIM, 505-AC phone numbers; 1231 ``KKIM AM & FM, --- radio for New Mexico``. (NRC AM Log fills in the blanx: Christian Talk Radio for NM; FM is 94.7). Like I said with previous log: ``non-direxional, 10 kW day, but not if it is really running night power of 38 watts or psra of 12.2 watts!`` Official FCC sunrise at KKIM for Sept is 1245 UT; from tomorrow in Oct it will be 1315; naaah, why bother, just leave it at 10 kW all the time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. MEXICO. 1110, Oct 2 at 0518 UT, weak but steady signal with YL in Spanish, sermon? Mentions amor. Loops W/WSW, but where`s KFAB Omaha? It`s off the air! Not due to propagation as WHO Des Moines is inbooming on 1040. Without KFAB, I null XEWR and most of the KMOXIBOC and hear another very weak signal seemingly in English. Not many on at night; I would prefer KBND in Oregon to WBT in North Carolina. At 1222 check, KFAB is back on when it counts, and with some CCI, probably KVTT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1210, UT Sunday Sept 30 at 0508, hear deep voice talk // WOAI 1200 and countless others, sub host? Tho not in synch, ergo must be Coast to Coast, and KGYN must be behaving itself tonight.

I searched the C2C website and found the only affiliate listed on 1210 is WPHT Philadelphia, which has become a rarity here. Then also discovered that C2C is ``B`` in NRC AM Log coding for networks, where it is also the only B on 1210. Trouble is, on Sundays it supposedly does not start on WPHT until 2 am EDT = 0600+. I try to check http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/ but there is no link to a program schedule, just lots of chaff (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1630, Sept 30 at 0534 UT, ``16-30, La Jota Mexicana``, makes it thru the QRM, i.e. KRND Fox Farm (Cheyenne) WY. NRC AM Log shows it`s 10/1 kW U1 = non-direxional, and has a CP to become U4 = direxional at night --- but there is now no such CP shown at
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=87155
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, Sept 30 at 0505 UT, big open carrier with hum, still there and dominating at 0525; loops N-S, so very likely it`s the 50 kW nondirexional daytimer KCTA Corpus Christi TX, testing. There is another 50 kW in Minnesota, WCTS, but it`s direxional north, and also has 1 kW at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, Oct 1 at 0442 UT, that strong open carrier with hum is running again, still past 0511. Strongly suspect KCTA, 50 kW daytimer in Corpus Christi TX, as loops N/S. It`s not a legal test if it is on before local midnight. October official SR/SS in CC per FCC are: 1230/2400 UT. I bet the carrier is staying on continuously after 0000. This non-direxional 50 kW signal is a huge insult and impediment to all the other 1030 stations on the continent operating on legal night parameters, e.g. XEQR, KTWO, KFAY, even WBZ? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030 open carrier: Yup, there it is at 0245 UT Oct 2, same hum as before, and still very close to due N/S from here. I`m sure others can hear it from other angles and get a triangulation fix if there is any doubt it is KCTA, 50 kW non-direxional, strictly daytime only with October sign-off required at 2400* (At 0200, Earl Higgins in St Louis MO was also hearing it, ``destroying usually strong WBZ``) (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, Oct 3 at 0612 UT, presumed KCTA 50 kW daytime open carrier with hum is still rampant. Did not notice it earlier in evening, but probably then too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, Oct 4 at 0502 UT, the open carrier with hum from the south is still here, presumed KCTA 50 kW non-direxional daytimer Corpus Christi TX. Maybe they won`t notice until they get the next electric bill. Meanwhile, why don`t the FCC and other 1030 stations operating legally jump on them? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1450, Oct 2 at 1240 UT, announcement by/about a public library with 562- phone exchange. Amazing how many PLs have such a phone, but none I can match up in OK or nearby states (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1650, Sept 30 at 1218 UT, weak signal with romantic music in Spanish, vs. Spanish preacher looping further north. Nothing from Iowa at the moment. I suppose the religion is KBJD Denver, romx is KSVE in El Paso TX per format info, but still no definite ID nor do I see any other reports of it whatsoever (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1650, Oct 2 at 1213 UT, weak romantic music from W/WSW or so, more tantalizing from possible KSVE El Paso. Then I think I hear ``16-50`` in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. 1650, Oct 3 at 0524 UT, Spanish separable from Denver Spanish to the NW, Univisión promo/ad, I think for a TV show rather than radio, 1-900 number and something about texting in Estados Unidos, ``16-50 AM --- [algo] --- sin comerciales``, romantic music. More evidence that it is really KSVE El Paso TX and not XEAZR Mexico City, since Univisión is an American, not Mexican network. But still lacking a firm ID. Lucked into a fade by Iowa, which soon regained dominance, and 0531 ID as ``1650, The Fan, KCNZ`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)